Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps

Aight...

I took gunforhire's preset and in scene three I added the settings for the 63' Fender Tube Reverb from factory preset 384.

This reverb is before the amp and uses the settings from the factory preset. It's very aggressive so the mix is way low but you can hear it.

I'm not sure it's "better" but it does make it overall a bit darker and vibey. I added a PEQ to dip a little at 200 cycles after the amp to take some wool off.

Forgive the clams, I just remember that solo by ear in my head. The melody he plays when it goes to Bm is one of the most soaring inspiring riffs on Rust Never Sleeps. Love those notes over Bm and C!

Attachments

• Tweed Deluxe v3 FW14 barH.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 21
Aight...

I took gunforhire's preset and in scene three I added the settings for the 63' Fender Tube Reverb from factory preset 384.

This reverb is before the amp and uses the settings from the factory preset. It's very aggressive so the mix is way low but you can hear it.

I'm not sure it's "better" but it does make it overall a bit darker and vibey. I added a PEQ to dip a little at 200 cycles after the amp to take some wool off.

Forgive the clams, I just remember that solo by ear in my head. The melody he plays when it goes to Bm is one of the most soaring inspiring riffs on Rust Never Sleeps. Love those notes over Bm and C!

(Reminder I use cabs: 1x12 Tweedverb M160 and 1x12 Tweedverb R121)

Thats kick ass Im gonna try hat with the P90s tonight and see what i get. tho i am a rhythm player not a lead player ill have to noodle along

With the Fuzz in the front it really burbles and chirps on my les paul. its well on that total saturation point, and the notes cascade into one another compresin and almost bottoming out.. :) I wish I had a foot controller as Id love to be able to flip the fuzz on and off on the fly while i try it.

The next "evolution" I'm going to try is to move the delay in front of the amp block too.

This will of course make the preset a little more dark, but somewhere between the dark and the light is salvation :) in regards to cop'ing Neil's vibe that is :)

The next "evolution" I'm going to try is to move the delay in front of the amp block too. This will of course make the preset a little more dark, but somewhere between the dark and the light is salvation :) in regards to cop'ing Neil's vibe that is :)

New patch? It should be in front in mine already, no?

New patch? It should be in front in mine already, no?

Yep you have it front already and it does sound killer !!!

I was just messing with gunforhire's patch. gunforhire's preset had delay and reverb post amp block.

Both patches are excellent!

Yep you have it front already and it does sound killer !!! I was just messing with gunforhire's patch. gunforhire's preset had delay and reverb post amp block. Both patches are excellent!

Ah! I haven't tried his patch yet. New job started this week so I've been buried. :(

I have to try these as well with my gretsch as well as I know Neil had a white falcon didnt he for a while, i dont have a falcon but i have a nice Anniversary

The gunforhire preset never sleeps! :)

I put a mono tape delay in front of the amp after the verb' ala Neil's Rig. I also split the cab into two to make full use of the UR IR goodness :)

Scene 3 is the money scene.

Cab1: U52 1x12 Tweedverb M160
Cab2: U55 1x12 Tweedverb R121

Attachments

• Tweed Deluxe v4 FW14 barH.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 21
Finally got to try the OP's patch! Used it for a solo with my Epiphone Wildkat last night. Tried it with several guitars, and I love it. For me, though, it doesn't get that grinding machine-shop tube-melting-in-the-socket sound Neil gets on Rust. Even with an SG with humbuckers, could not get it. Even smashing the reds. But, I do love it, and it is a very useful addition to my arsenal! Thanks!

this aint gonna get me any friends in this thread but seriously?? neil young?? toss a pignose in a big dumpster and you've nailed it. maybe stab the pignose speaker with a ball point pen a few times first. ugh!

i shall now retreat to my bomb shelter before you guys start throwing stuff at me :D

this aint gonna get me any friends in this thread but seriously?? neil young?? toss a pignose in a big dumpster and you've nailed it. maybe stab the pignose speaker with a ball point pen a few times first. ugh!

i shall now retreat to my bomb shelter before you guys start throwing stuff at me :D
haha i love people on forums who speak their mind..
I think so many people love neil youngs kinda tone is that its the true representation of an old fashioned uncomplicated tube amp pushed to the extreme point. so many new amps are so full of bits of resistors and components to smooth and flatten out noise and grit but neils tones always been the rawest of them all.

I would love to hear a pignose in a trashcan tho.. Ive recorded a tiny smokey amp in a steel drum.. thats the closest ive gotten. it was odd..haha

Finally got to try the OP's patch! Used it for a solo with my Epiphone Wildkat last night. Tried it with several guitars, and I love it. For me, though, it doesn't get that grinding machine-shop tube-melting-in-the-socket sound Neil gets on Rust. Even with an SG with humbuckers, could not get it. Even smashing the reds. But, I do love it, and it is a very useful addition to my arsenal! Thanks!

So what things did you change to make it sound the way you want it to sound?

I didn't. I was recording and had no time to tweak. For this particular solo, it still sounded great - it just didn't sound like Rust. I see a later post with a new patch by Bathrecords, and I'm going to give it a whirl. I FINALLY got the engineer where I'm recording to just take the axe out direct (he's been insisting on also mic'ing my CLR - go figgah!). Of course, it sounds amazing. I would never, in a million years think that it was anything other than a mic'd Fender amp. Maybe the high-gain boys haven't gotten the tone they want - maybe that's why Satriani, Petrucci etc. etc. reputedly still use 'real' amps in the studio. I dunno: I never intend to use a real one for recording or performing again.
So what things did you change to make it sound the way you want it to sound?

Back
Top Bottom