neil giraldo

I don't know about factory patches, but this video might help. Tim pierce explains that Neil used a pair of Marshall 2104s. Its the late 70s 2204 (tho 100 watt so maybe 2203) in a combo (probably the Plexi 2204 amp model is the closest approximation). Chain began with an Eventide H949, which broke up a little and slightly detuned one 2104 (so maybe use an SDD preamp or FET boost in the drive block and a pitch block set to detune?) into the front ends of the amps, and on the back use a 212 cab (quick glance I see a 112 [L008] and a 412 [L105] with EV in the Legacy section...that or maybe a Twin cab?). Tim says the speakers were EVM12Ls, so I'd guess turn down the speaker drive, compression and thump. This is interesting. I think I may work on this next week when I have a break. Oh, and Neil talked a little about tone controls...bass way down, treble at 3...not sure about mid.

Last edited:
I don't know about factory patches, but this video might help. Tim pierce explains that Neil used a pair of Marshall 2104s. Its the late 70s 2204 (tho 100 watt so maybe 2203) in a combo (probably the Plexi 2204 amp model is the closest approximation). Chain began with an Eventide H949, which broke up a little and slightly detuned one 2104 (so maybe use an SDD preamp or FET boost in the drive block and a pitch block set to detune?) into the front ends of the amps, and on the back use a 212 cab (quick glance I see a 112 [L008] and a 412 [L105] with EV in the Legacy section...that or maybe a Twin cab?). Tim says the speakers were EVM12Ls, so I'd guess turn down the speaker drive, compression and thump. This is interesting. I think I may work on this next week when I have a break. Oh, and Neil talked a little about tone controls...bass way down, treble at 3...not sure about mid.

Cool video and thanks for noting the specs as I couldn't make out what Tim said the wattage of the heads were. I definitely wouldn't know anything about tweaking the speakers. Neil said he guessed mid around 1. I might try to get close following your recommendations.

Tim said he used a Boss chorus for the detuning one of the amps in case the pitch block doesn't work. I don't have much experience at pitch shifting etc...I'd have a hard time trying to match the H949. I can't even get the pitch block dialed in to do the JP Headin Out to the Highway solo. Anyway, this is interesting. Let us know how your preset turns out.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a factory patch that is close to a Neil Giraldo tone?
Def. a detune going on with two amps for the spread of sound. Big fan of his tone on those Benatar records.

I think he did a (Premiere Guitar) Rig Rundown as well (if I remember right, maybe not), I'd try to find that on YouTube? I seem to remember watching it and learning about the detune.

Last edited:
From Neil's chat on Joe Bonamassa's Youtube channel he's real big on note definition, which is why he uses the EVM's. Joe stated Neil's the reason he started using them.

I knew I'd find a thread like this on here... lol.
Last night driving to rehearsal my Spotify had a mix of rock going and All Fired Up came on. Been a while since I listened to Pat Benatar and it's only for the typical Best Shot/Heartbreaker that all cover bands play. Gag.

Neil plays around a little, then he starts riffing, at 20 seconds he goes harder, and I was all STOP THE PRESSES because that tone was so effin amazing!
That has to be the Marshall sound, no?, I thought to myself.
Anyways now I'm really obsessed with dialing in a Brit 800 with that type of hairy overdrive. It's glorious.
Or should I do a Plexi? Hmmmm.

Neil pummels the strings! I actually got to play his Roxie before he did Ha... I knew some of the guys at GMP guitars back in the day. I love his early sounds .

I have an old Barracuda patch on my Digitech 2101 that was near perfect. Kill the flanger and it nailed the rest of his tone damn close. The recent cover band I was in didn't play it so I never tried to port it to my FM9. But I am sure someone on here has a preset for that one.

Saw Neil and Pat a few years ago (like summer of 2007?) at an outdoor concert at the Belmont Country Club in Ashburn VA. For me, Neil was like 80% of the show. He was in good shape (not old and fat, PB had put on some pounds and some of her upper range was gone...) and put on a great show. I thought he played better than ever. Great show. Great tone. A definite favorite. Would love a preset if someone could take it on!

Back
Top Bottom