Need your ears mates!

Which of these IR's pleased your ears the most?

• Total voters
From memory, B was OK. H on the other hand.. Its probably a cab I really want to like too, knowing my luck.

OK I think you have to tell us the rest of the answers now.

I voted for A and D, with D being my favorite. It has a bit more fullness to it which I like. Caveat: I'm listening on Insignia computer speakers.

Yeah it's time.. DRUMROLL!!

A: Redwirez 1960A G12M25
B: Redwirez Basketweave G12H30
C: Clark Kent's Gift to Mankind
D: Redwirez Mesa
E: OwnHammer Mesa
F: OwnHammer Mesa & Redwirez 1960A mixed
G: OwnHammer Mills 4x12 V30
H: Redwirez Orange 4x12

Thanks to everyone for making this poll possible! The amp block in these clips is the 5153 Red with everything at noon like Eddie designed it.

Go ahead and download the winning IR! It's free! :)

Attachments

• Clark Kent's Gift to Mankind IR.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 29
Cool. Looking forward to trying it. I guess that the other IRs may have worked better in other mix ettings.

Cool. Looking forward to trying it. I guess that the other IRs may have worked better in other mix ettings.

Sure! And it's not like I couldn't live with each of them. I will most likely use the 1960A for Marshall tones. Orange for Orange tones etc.

There is a weird thing in this comparison. Three of the IR's are the same cabinet mic'ed by different people. C = done mostly by Irotlas from this forum. D = Redwirez and E = OwnHammer. Well obviously mic positions plays a huge part in this and I don't mean to go deeper into that because I chose the IR's so if something is worse/better it might aswell be due to human error.

BUT... my IR has only those "sweetspots" that I keep talking about AND they are being captured by a cheap SS power amp = EHX Magnum 44 and a Mesa power amp and mixed in together. It's hard to find those sweetspot from Redwirez because they only have 4 close mic positions.

I'm going to create a new OwnHammer V32 mix right now because I can't live with the fact that my favorite cab pack didn't survive this test. :D

Lets just say that the poll is not 100% representative. For example, I only voted for 1 choice, but others voted for multiple choices. Another thing is some sounded very similar (e.g. Mesa). Even though most picked C all three of the Mesa's were in that good zone IMO.

Yeah I know. The thing is that I wasn't necessarily aiming for "which is the best IR in your opinion" but "which IR pleases most ears". If everyone would've voted for about half of the cabs so that the ones that were "not good" were left out we would come up with something that pleases most ears and I think we achieved that. One of the main attributes for the IR's that I try to make is versatility. I don't actually believe in the "this IR is only good for metal" school of thought. I think that is very ignorant. High gain requires an extremely good and polished IR in order to be tolerable on high volumes. Those IR's make mixing so easy and natural sounding because there is no surgical EQ, since the IR is the EQ and mics were placed properly. However all of these IR's in this comparison are great for all kinds of mixes/genres. After that it's taste issues. My favorites are the 1960A and the Gift IR. 1960A is more of a JCM800 type of sound and the Gift IR is really modern. So that's like the two tones I'm going to use: modern/vintage. I hope I an rest for a while now... no I can't.

I made a brighter OwnHammer Mesa V32 mix:
R92 BV1
MD421 BV1
MA200 BV1

Sorry no clip yet. :D

Back
Top Bottom