Need tone help. Reducing pick attack?

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Lots of good stuff to try here. After much testing I've come to the conclusion that while I pick hard with jazz picks, this sound is coming from my signal chain. Nothing I adjusted with my pick technique could dial it out. Lets be clear that their were two noises from the pick attack. One high pitched squeek and one low pitched thud. I wanted that thud to back out when I play single notes. It's not easy to hear without headphones or monitors.

Some things that seem to have gotten it into an acceptable range without hurting the overall sound were: lowering 125 in my output EQ, Increasing the B+time constant, increasing definition. It's still there but between these three things, the thud is present but I believe it isn't overbearing anymore. Thanks for understanding this detailed issue. I'm 1 week in with the AxeFX3 and while I feel like I'm constantly trying to dial in a guitar center worth of gear... I know I don't have to but I'm going to because that's all I've ever wanted. I'm just trying to learn build my own sounds and take them from good to great.

Last edited:
Did you try smoothing? I've found that can indeed tame a difficult IR

Also the 'definition' parameter helps with adding or removing pick noise
@jon - Are you talking about the 'definition' parameter on the Input EQ page of the amp block?

Playing metal riffs on a strat without an amp for years is how I developed my harsh picking technique. . I am picking very hard in the file but I must stress that even if I pick as soft as possible (changing the tone dramatically and letting my noise gate rob sustain) that pick attack is still there dominating the sound.

I play a Strat and pick pretty hard myself, like SRV did. Sometimes the wrong settings on the input gate, or gate block (if you are using one) can cause weird noises. I am not sure, but it might help to try setting for the input gate (or gate block) differently.

Could this be to do with the increased ‘clarity’ that some have noticed with recent firmware releases? I know I am hearing a lot more pick noise than before and can’t hide my mistakes as easily now 😁

Btw I liked the sound of your clip and it led me to check out the cornfed... horses for courses I guess. Could it just be that amp?

@jon - Are you talking about the 'definition' parameter on the Input EQ page of the amp block?

I Ctrl+F'd on the manual and that's the only relevant definition I ran into. Turning it up pulls out some bass from the input hitting the amp. I'm afraid to apply too much and change the nature of my guitar but a little did help.

Could this be to do with the increased ‘clarity’ that some have noticed with recent firmware releases? I know I am hearing a lot more pick noise than before and can’t hide my mistakes as easily now 😁

Btw I liked the sound of your clip and it led me to check out the cornfed... horses for courses I guess. Could it just be that amp?

Cornfed is cool but maybe has some... quirks? I started with a Leon Todd preset with 8 metal amps dialed in and that one spoke to me the most so it's the first metal amp I've gone and dug into. I think it was a combination of everything including the amp, pickup (It's a dimarzio liquifire if anyone cares), and having WAY too much bass in the tone. I realized how much better it got once I added an 80hz cut in the cab block and started looking for more places to tame that. I think that clip was recorded after that high pass was added. Then I realized I had dialed the output EQ sort of like Petrucci or Leon would on a Mesa but I had 125 boosted way too high (like 7+). It sounded chunky AF and still bright on the power chords but on leads it was emphasizing that thump that I had. I'm liking where it's at right now and moving on to another channel. Going to work on a 5150 metal thing next.

And I'm here trying to add pick attack for one of my guitars. Life is funny like that

If I learned anything in my travels for you: Find an IR with a mic right on the cone. Reduce the B Time Constant. And for low end thud boost 125 in the amp's output eq. No garuntees from this noob, but that would be how I'd start. Oh also check out the Cornfed for sure if it's your thing.

Last edited:
I find the best place to tame bass is in the input eq section. It is pretty much the only non-authentic parameter I touch. I don’t really use low cut in the cab block now.

Back
Top Bottom