Need tap tempo assistance on GC 2.3

shep

Inspired
After a half hour of searching/reading reading how well the MFC-101 does this w/o setup, I decided to ask the gurus here that have a original Ground Control. I've been unable to find a way to tap in tempos - finding a controllable parameter so I can use an IA to do this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks much, Shep

I am not familiar with the Ground Control, but the steps below are universal and should work:

- Hit the I/O button on the front panel of the Axe-FX
- Page over the the CTRL page
- Scroll down to place your cursor on TEMPO TAP
- Hit the ENTER button to go into LEARN mode
- Now press the GC button you wish to assign to tap tempo -> The Axe should now have "learned" it and will register the CC# for that GC button
That's it, you're done.

Of course, now you need *something* to use that tempo... I assume you know how to edit (for example) a delay block and set its delay time to a subdivision of the tempo. If not, ask away.

Last edited:
Thanks very much, Dpoirer. I can't believe in all the modifier/IA setting up I've done that I missed that. That part is good now.

When I went into the patch to set the tempo to a division ( I went w/ 1/4 as a starting point on a dual delay) - I got really long delay repeats, where it wasn't that way before. It seems like it takes awhile before the AF responds to the tap as well. If you'd go the extra mile and walk me through this, I'd be most grateful and i'm sure, happy!

Thanks very much, Dpoirer. I can't believe in all the modifier/IA setting up I've done that I missed that. That part is good now.

When I went into the patch to set the tempo to a division ( I went w/ 1/4 as a starting point on a dual delay) - I got really long delay repeats, where it wasn't that way before. It seems like it takes awhile before the AF responds to the tap as well. If you'd go the extra mile and walk me through this, I'd be most grateful and i'm sure, happy!

You would get really long delay repeats at 1/4 if your tempo is slow... are you saying that you get long ones even at fast tempos, or maybe regardless of the tempo setting? As for the Axe taking a while to respond, it shouldn't. The Axe can set a tempo with as few as two taps. If you provide more taps, the Axe averages them out, yielding one of the most accurate tempos I have seen in high end gear.

There might be an issue if your Ground Control button is set to latching. I don't have any experience setting up tempos with a latching button.

I use a temporary, or non-latching pedal, plugged into PEDAL2 in the rear of the Axe. In I/O > PEDAL, I set PEDAL 2 to MOMENTARY, which makes it work as it should (you usually don't want to use latching with tap tempo). In your case, since you're using a button from the Ground Control rather than Pedal 1 or Pedal 2, I suspect this may be a setting that is internal to the Ground Control, and you'll need to read the manual to find out how to configure it so that the particular button you're using is set as momentary (or non-latching). I can't help you more than that, as I am not familiar with the GC. Perhaps someone else from the forum could chime in? Maybe there's a setting in the Axe also, but I'm not aware of it.

A latching switch/CC will work fine for tap tempo. Any value sent for the CC gets counted as a tap. I'd recommend avoiding momentary for a CC because that can cause unintentional extra taps on release if you hold the switch down too long.

A latching switch/CC will work fine for tap tempo. Any value sent for the CC gets counted as a tap. I'd recommend avoiding momentary for a CC because that can cause unintentional extra taps on release if you hold the switch down too long.

That's really odd... I have never ever had any problems tapping a tempo with a non-latching pedal, and have never seen any such recommendation to avoid non-latching...

However, to the original poster: Bakerman's post indicates that latching shouldn't be an issue, so I might have sent you on a goose chase. If the issue is not related to latching versus non-latching, then I'm not sure what the problem is. You may need to provide more details regarding the behavior, though.

Back
Top Bottom