Need some pro help here for an EQ question

Billbill

Power User
Ok hello guys,
Need advice so here's my scenario. I've got some good sounding high gain patches that need some cleaning because there's some problematic high frequencies that I need to cut, (this is deeper than simply cutting the the cab). When I cab cut it seems that I'm loosing some good stuff in the tone so I need to narrow what I'm cutting.
I've seen guys use the EQ sweep around trick but I'm a little puzzled as to how I should do this AND how to fix it after I identify the problem freq.
My plan is to put a looper in the patch and play some riffs. Then as I run the loop add filter or PEQ and set it up for the sweeping technique, identify problem, and somehow cut it out of the signal with another block or something?

So does this approach seem correct and if so can someone elaborate on doing this EQ technique how to set the freq in the block to accomplish this.
And where should I cut them frequencies? With another PEQ? And if so what type/settings? Thanks for any input guys!

Sometimes it helpful to boost with a narrow Q to help find the annoying freqs. Then once identified there are any number of ways to cut them. If it’s global just use an always on filter or eq block at the end of the grid

I like to monitor the signal in my DAW using an EQ plugin with a spectrum analyzer. That basically allows me identify the offending frequencies visually and notch them out using the EQ. Once I've tweaked it to sound good in my DAW, I transcribe the EQ settings to one or more PEQ blocks. Can you post a sample?

I transcribe the EQ settings to one or more PEQ blocks.
This was my idea but I don't use a DAW for EQ I only have garage band so I was hoping to be able to just accomplish my goal here within the axe. I'll try to get a sample up asap sir

If you upgrade to the III you’d have the RTM block in the unit itself....

Barring that or a VST plugin, there are some spectrum analyzer apps for smartphones which might do the trick, show if there is a spike at a given frequency, though room acoustics etc can skew the results a bit

Yes the higher the q the narrower the cut or boost. To be honest you might be better if finding an IR that works better in the high end

Place the PEQ or Filter Block after the Amp & cab Block.
(I’ll use the PEQ for the explination)
1. Select Bands 2+4 & use Freq 4, (not that it matters, but you’re specifically asking for high end issues, and you want a PEAKING TYPE.)
2. Turn the Q all the way up (10) and turn the Gain up. You can crank it but don’t crank your actual volume, you don’t wanna do this at ear splitting levels, lol.
3. Sweep the Frequency back & forth to find the problem Frequency, it should really stick out now.
4. Now you make the CUT, so lower the gain to a negative value till the problem area is gone. However, you might find it better to widen out your Q a little bit to kinda feather out your cut and make the cut a little less in the negative dB range. So ya gotta kind of experiment between a steeper cut with more dB and a wider cut with less dB cut.
But that’s how ya do it.

Place the PEQ or Filter Block after the Amp & cab Block.
(I’ll use the PEQ for the explination)
1. Select Bands 2+4 & use Freq 4, (not that it matters, but you’re specifically asking for high end issues, and you want a PEAKING TYPE.)
2. Turn the Q all the way up (10) and turn the Gain up. You can crank it but don’t crank your actual volume, you don’t wanna do this at ear splitting levels, lol.
3. Sweep the Frequency back & forth to find the problem Frequency, it should really stick out now.
4. Now you make the CUT, so lower the gain to a negative value till the problem area is gone. However, you might find it better to widen out your Q a little bit to kinda feather out your cut and make the cut a little less in the negative dB range. So ya gotta kind of experiment between a steeper cut with more dB and a wider cut with less dB cut.
But that’s how ya do it.
Specific instructions! Thank you sir! Gonna try this again next time she leaves the house lol

2. Turn the Q all the way up (10)
in my experience, this is usually too thin and makes it difficult to find the "range." i agree to increase the Q, but not all the way at first. try 2 or so, find the general range, then increase the Q a bit, repeat, etc.

That will turn it into a notch filter, which will make everything stick out. Not recommended. For sweeping, setting it to 2 is sufficient.
I personally would always start with the highest Q possible to pinpoint the frequency and then back it off to see if it’s necessary to go wider. But he needs to find the Frequency first, so he wants it to stick out.
You’ll find it, one way or the other. Lol.. the important thing is when you make your cut, is to keep it as natural sounding as possible.. so you don’t want anything too drastic..

I personally would always start with the highest Q possible to pinpoint the frequency and then back it off to see if it’s necessary to go wider. But he needs to find the Frequency first, so he wants it to stick out.

To each their own of course, but high-end noise (eg. fizz) is often wider than a notch filter, so I recommend starting a bit wider and narrowing things down once you're in the area if need be. A notch filter also tends to make everything stick out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom