Need some power amp help

Cadavuh

Hey guys ill be taking the axe fx plunge next month. Ill be going the power amp + cab route. The thing is that I am unable to demo any power amps out here in which case I will be buying blind so I need some info/suggestions. I have a roughly $500 budget at my disposal for one. The options I'm considering right now are Monoblock, TS-100, DCM1000L, ART SLA-2, and that new Rocktron Velocity 300. So

1. With the Monoblock and the TS-100 do you still run the power amp sims even though they are tube? Its pretty important that I am able to run them so I can take more advantage of the units versatility.

2. The Monoblock is only 50 watts, is this enough to practice over the rest of a band/gig with?

3. Its absolutly crucial that I avoid any SS harshness or brittleness and I've read mixed reviews on the SS power amps. Some say they are just fine but others say they still have the SS qualities. I really need to keep the warm feel. What are your opinions on this?

The one that I'm leaning towards most is the Monoblock. I don't mind having something extra to carry that isn't rack mountable. Weight isn't really an issue for me either. Also the Monoblock tone in this vid is killer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1X6likPKS8

imo i would get the art sla2. it handles 200w @8ohms per channel which is enough to power any high end cab and it fits in 1 rack space. you dont have to worry about any harshness or lack of "tube" tone using the axe fx because it's already modeling the tube tone for you. i like using the solid state poweramps because they usually weigh less and dont have tubes that need to be replaced.

Cadavuh said:
Hey guys ill be taking the axe fx plunge next month. Ill be going the power amp + cab route. The thing is that I am unable to demo any power amps out here in which case I will be buying blind so I need some info/suggestions. I have a roughly $500 budget at my disposal for one. The options I'm considering right now are Monoblock, TS-100, DCM1000L, ART SLA-2, and that new Rocktron Velocity 300. So

1. With the Monoblock and the TS-100 do you still run the power amp sims even though they are tube? Its pretty important that I am able to run them so I can take more advantage of the units versatility.

2. The Monoblock is only 50 watts, is this enough to practice over the rest of a band/gig with?

3. Its absolutly crucial that I avoid any SS harshness or brittleness and I've read mixed reviews on the SS power amps. Some say they are just fine but others say they still have the SS qualities. I really need to keep the warm feel. What are your opinions on this?

The one that I'm leaning towards most is the Monoblock. I don't mind having something extra to carry that isn't rack mountable. Weight isn't really an issue for me either. Also the Monoblock tone in this vid is killer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1X6likPKS8

I had the Velocity 300 for a short time, and my monoblock tube amp (not Atomic) sounded much better when using the amp sims. I believe Mr. Day went from the SLA2 to the powered Atomic's, which basically have the monoblock amp built into the cabinet. He could probably give you a good comparison of the two and comment on using the amp sims with the Atomic tube amps.

thricegod1288 said:
imo i would get the art sla2. it handles 200w @8ohms per channel which is enough to power any high end cab and it fits in 1 rack space. you dont have to worry about any harshness or lack of "tube" tone using the axe fx because it's already modeling the tube tone for you. i like using the solid state poweramps because they usually weigh less and dont have tubes that need to be replaced.

I have read around that the modeling with SS power amps still fails to lose the thinness/brittleness.

I bought the ART SLA 2 a couple of months ago to replace a Mesa Boogie 20/20.
The ART is pretty good - it doesn't sound harsh or brittle and is definitely more faithful to the Axe output tone. BUT there is still something about the Mesa that I miss - maybe just its special character. "Depth" or something it is hard to put my finger on.

Even though the Mesa is 40W and the ART is 200W, the Mesa is just as loud, and actually significantly lighter. I never sold it and am going to hook it up for a second "go", for the weight alone.

I doubt 50W SS is enough to keep up with a bad. From a tube amp though, no problem.

fearlessflier said:
I bought the ART SLA 2 a couple of months ago to replace a Mesa Boogie 20/20.
The ART is pretty good - it doesn't sound harsh or brittle and is definitely more faithful to the Axe output tone. BUT there is still something about the Mesa that I miss - maybe just its special character. "Depth" or something it is hard to put my finger on.

Even though the Mesa is 40W and the ART is 200W, the Mesa is just as loud, and actually significantly lighter. I never sold it and am going to hook it up for a second "go", for the weight alone.

I doubt 50W SS is enough to keep up with a bad. From a tube amp though, no problem.

Cool thanks for the info man!

Back
Top Bottom