Need some help in buying my 1st mic ... please ...

If you want to use a condenser mic like an 87, 865 or C5, I highly recommend always having a standard dynamic with you as a back up - 58, beta 58, 835, D5.

Sometimes there isn't phantom power available (believe it or not) and sometimes the stage is so small that the condenser is too sensitive and causes feedback too easily. Switch to that dynamic and those problems usually go away, or at least feedback is much easier to control.

As far as the 87a vs 87c, the supercardioid A will reject more feedback from the sides, but you need to be right on the center/top of the mic to be heard as the pickup is tighter there. Also, it picks up sound from the rear of the mic as well (compared to a cardioid that doesn't). So you can't/shouldn't put a stage monitor directly in front of you as it will aim directly at the rear of the mic that picks up sound.

Most singers who use a super or hyper mic have the 2 monitor setup at a 45 degree angle, where the mic rejects the sound.

Just be aware. At certain volumes, it won't be an issue, but if your A supercardioid gets feedback when everyone else's cardioid 58s don't, that's probably the issue.

Last edited:
Looking to give vocals a shot but don't know a thing about mics. I've heard that the Shure SM58 and SM Beta 58 have been the sort of the go to mics of choice for many years but when I listened to some You Tube comparisons of the Shure's compared to the Heil's and some other mics, they sounded kind of muddy. But then some say a bright clear mic may not be best for vocals. Do you guys have any thoughts or recommendations for a good 1st vocal mic in the $150-$200 range. Thanks ...

Since you are new to vocals, I would seriously recommend buying a program like singingsuccess.com and learn how to actually sing first before spending any amount of cash on a high end mic.

I would recommend a Shure Beta58a for a first mic in the $150-$200 range as it's a great all around mic with less bass proximity than the standard 58.
http://cdn.shure.com/specification_sheet/upload/123/us_pro_beta58_specsheet.pdf.pdf

I went on a (live) dynamic vocal mic buying spree a couple years ago $79-$400 range and out of the ten or so I tried I like the Heil pr35 ($235-$285)best. The sound reminds me of a ribbon mic, clear as a bell and full, have to be careful with the proximity though. Next Sennheiser 835 over the 935 for me. Sm57 over the Sm58.

Just like in the datacenter: nobody ever got fired for buying IBM.

The same holds true for Shure. SM57 is probably the most inexpensive, versatile mic you'll ever have (I have several). Get tired of using it for vocals? Use it on your cabinet, or your snare drum, or your sax. Minimum dollars, minimum risk. I like the 58 as well, but prefer the 57 for reasons stated elsewhere in the thread.

That said, if you want to upgrade to higher end mics without breaking the bank, look at the R0DE line. I have a NT3, two NT2's, and and NT1K (tube mic) that all sound very good.

Sm57 does not have the appropriate windscreen to prevent popping consonants like Ps and Ts, so I'd recommend the 58 over the 57. That said, I sang on a 57 for years, but you have to learn how to sing those popping sounds differently.

I now use an Audix OM7. If not that, an OM5, then an AKG D5 which does the best job at preventing feedback.

Try a Beta 57 - Great mic for the money.

Pauly

Looking to give vocals a shot but don't know a thing about mics. I've heard that the Shure SM58 and SM Beta 58 have been the sort of the go to mics of choice for many years but when I listened to some You Tube comparisons of the Shure's compared to the Heil's and some other mics, they sounded kind of muddy. But then some say a bright clear mic may not be best for vocals. Do you guys have any thoughts or recommendations for a good 1st vocal mic in the $150-$200 range. Thanks ...

Reactions: sam
I don't disagree with this, but I didn't mention better mics due to the OP's stated requirements. And some very famous vocals have been mic'd with cheap mics. That said, there are worlds better mics out there for more money. The problem is... where do you stop? With a Blue Baby Bottle? Rode NTK? Mojave MA-300? Or a Flea U47 clone costing around 5K?

For my money, Blue makes some great mics under a grand. I like them more than ROde's (I own both). There are also some lesser-known mic companies like Cascade doing interesting things (their Fathead ribbon is a nice mic for the money). Over 1K and under 2K, the best mic I found (tastes will vary, of course) is the Mojave MA-300, a large diaphragm tube condenser with a really old-school Neumann sound for a fraction of the cost (I reviewed it in the lounge, going head-to-head with my favorite mic, a vintage U47 worth about 15K). It also has a continuously-variable pattern, which I have found INCREDIBLY useful. I tried a lot of hi-end mics, including the much-lauded Lauten mics, and actively shied away from the Mojaves because I don't like their flash looks - but in the end, the MA-300 blew them all away. That, coupled with a good old school preamp (like the Chameleon Labs 7601 MkII with X-Mod) is yielding some of the best micing experiences I've have had, from vocals to cello to acoustic guitar. This mic/preamp combo performs way above it's paygrade - but you're still talking $2300.00 for both the mic and the preamp by the time you're done - a far cry from a '57 and a cheap Mackie or equivalent mixer with iffy preamps.

Bottom line: Yes, if you splurge, and try things out (some expensive toys really AREN'T worth the hype or $$$), and you know (or learn) how to gain stage, place mics, use EQ etc., you will get MUCH better results. But don't despair: If you don't have the money, go 'lo-fi', concentrate on good material, well-executed, and your work will still shine.
Just my opinion, but don't skimp. Buy a mic designed for vocals. 57's are great for mic'ing amps and live vocals (if a 58 isn't available), but if you want crystal clear vocals in a recording environment, don't go that route. Even a Behringer mic will give you better results than mic's not designed for vocals.

I've got a Behringer B2 Pro and my buddy has a collection of Rode condenser mic's and a few Blue's. Eventually I'll go the Blue route, but for now (with the limited amount of vocals I do) my B2 meets my needs.

That said, if you're on a budget you can't go wrong with a 58.

Last edited:
I love these for that - use 'em on all mics: Stedman Pro-Screen - but of course, that's just in-studio. Yes, for live applications, you want a wind-screen. I still like the more 'immediate' sound of the '57, even for vocals, and I have used them live in a pinch - just gotta watch yer plosives...
Sm57 does not have the appropriate windscreen to prevent popping consonants like Ps and Ts, so I'd recommend the 58 over the 57. That said, I sang on a 57 for years, but you have to learn how to sing those popping sounds differently.

I now use an Audix OM7. If not that, an OM5, then an AKG D5 which does the best job at preventing feedback.

Back
Top Bottom