Need some advice

metallica86

Inspired
Hey guys,
I'm on the waitlist for FM3 ( headphone version) and its seems waiting forever.
In the mean time I can score a good used deal an Axe FX2 mark 2 (not XL) and a midi controller.
I know this is Fractal forum but do you guys think in 2020, the Axe 2 is still good? Any downsize I need to think of?
I will be using it for recording and practice at home and play with my cover band etc...
Thanks again!!

The axe 2 is great. It’s last firmware is of the same Ares algorithms as the Axe 3 and FM3. The only downside is you can’t make as complex a preset scheme as the Axe 3 and you have a lot less processor overhead but since you’re just holding over until you get your FM3, really you won’t be missing too much.

It’s last firmware is of the same Ares algorithms as the Axe 3 and FM3.
I'm not sure sure how accurate that is... The Axe Fx III modeling has received numerous updates since Ares for Axe Fx II was released, a number of which have improved the amp modeling.

And it still sounds great at Quantum 19 or 20 firmware!

Unless you have a really complex studio and need to record very complex parts, for the normal and stage use the Axe II is a great unit and also today it is difficult to be able to exploit its full potential.

I was in the exact place you are. Got a Mark II at a great price and upgraded to Ares 2.0. It can do more than the FM3(dual amps) but doesn't have the same memory. When I downloaded Ares I got all the new amp models but not all the new cabs and presets, etc.

Thanks guys, I'm not using complex preset, just sometime dual amp. Playing in a cover band but since our band can't jam together so it's hard to sitting home and listen to all the Axe 3 shiny new sound :d

I'm not sure sure how accurate that is... The Axe Fx III modeling has received numerous updates since Ares for Axe Fx II was released, a number of which have improved the amp modeling.

And it still sounds great at Quantum 19 or 20 firmware!
Obviously I'm not talking about the updates, I'm just talking about the overall schema and progression: Quantum -> Ares. I did not feel the need to be dead-nuts-on semantically perfect with the sentiment.

I have no idea what version of Axe III Ares is the basis for Axe II Ares or where/when that branch of code split off, and I'm not pretending to.

With regard to the FM3, we also do not know when or where that branch of code split off from the mainstem, nor do we really need to in order to enjoy the fruits of all that effort.

The point is, and you're correct here, it's still pretty freakin' good and the OP should be pretty well satisfied with an Axe II sporting the last(?) firmware, should he choose to go that route, until he gets his headphone jack-equipped FM3.

Obviously I'm not talking about the updates, I'm just talking about the overall schema and progression: Quantum -> Ares. I did not feel the need to be dead-nuts-on semantically perfect with the sentiment.

I have no idea what version of Axe III Ares is the basis for Axe II Ares or where/when that branch of code split off, and I'm not pretending to.

With regard to the FM3, we also do not know when or where that branch of code split off from the mainstem, nor do we really need to in order to enjoy the fruits of all that effort.

The point is, and you're correct here, it's still pretty freakin' good and the OP should be pretty well satisfied with an Axe II sporting the last(?) firmware, should he choose to go that route, until he gets his headphone jack-equipped FM3.
I agree with all of that. Partially my response was for education of the OP so there's no false expectations.

I agree with all of that. Partially my response was for education of the OP so there's no false expectations.
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom