Need Recommendation for Studio Monitors

ksmithdc

Inspired
All,

I need a recommendation for powered studio monitors. Doesn't have to be "the best". But I also don't want the basement level either. Prefer something in the middle range...good bang for the buck.

Thanks,

Kevin

I too have the Adam A7x monitors. Tried several different ones before finding these, and these were much superior.

I use Alesis M1 Active MkII's. Pretty cheap for a front mounted speaker and extremely flat. I wouldn't call it FRFR but still great monitors when you throw them on some auralex wedges.

Funny you should ask because I picked up a pair recently after doing a head-to-head comparison with other near-fields including the A7x's. The Adams had superior clarity and flat responsiveness, but I preferred the bottom end and sound stage on the Yamahas. It also came down to cost because of the 2-fold price differential. I have no regrets, however, as the touch-response coupled with the speaker "punch" you now get with FW5 is mind-blowing. My 2-cents, YMMV.

Thank you all for your input. The Adams monitors cost wall over twice what the Yamaha ones cost. Do they sound twice as good? That's the question. I appreciate your input here.

Thanks,

Kevin

Thank you all for your input. The Adams monitors cost wall over twice what the Yamaha ones cost. Do they sound twice as good? That's the question. I appreciate your input here.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
I cannot speak to the Adam7x comparison with the yamahas, but I have a friend (neighbor) who has the yamahas and my measely Mackie MR624MKII's blow them away. We did a few comparisons. Now I have a distant friend(in NY) who compared Mackies like mine to the A7x's and the Adams blew the mackies away. I am happy with the mackies, but in all honesty, I would rather have the adams7x or the Dynaudio BM6's. But like you said, the Yamahas are $350 each, Mackies like mine are $499 each and the others are , $699 each.
So unless someone buys mine for a real good price I am keeping them, I got them as B-stock for $350 a piece though :) Have you thought about B-stock? I mean of any monitors?
My Mackies are going on 2 years and no hiccups at all.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I can afford whatever... But I'd rather not spend the extra $$$ unless there was a clear reason to do so (like buying an Axe-Fx2 over an HD-500). I don't own a professional recording studio. In fact, this will be my FIRST ever set of monitors. Sorry to sound like such a NOOB, but we all need to start somewhere. :)

Kevin

I did a lot of A/B'ing and picked the HS80M's personally. I thought that there were a lot of 'monitors' out there that sounded more pleasing for listening to music, but trying to do critical listening I was able to pick out instruments in a mix much better with the HS80M's. Some tracks that sounded great on the other stuff sounded pretty horrible on the HS80M's.

If you are looking for something that sounds nice all the time look elsewhere, if you want something that shows you all the warts and deficiencies the HS80M's do a very good job IMHO.

And I was also able to find a pair for about $420 shipped doing some searching and price matching.

Back
Top Bottom