Need Recommendation for Digital Audio Workstation

Hey there Ksmithdc

So, are you a chiropractor or what?? <- I am one of those son's of bitches who are introducing the new nationwide Chiro franchise called "The Joint" the Chiropractic Place. (google it) Was getting board just building Massage Envy Spas over and over and over.

Based on your light needs you might find the simplicity and your needs being met with something liker this (Tracktion) : Tracktion 3 Music Production Software

I am using Logic an a Mac Pro Dual Quad myself but the curve is strong and it does so much more than you state you desire from a DAW. The price will leave you with change to boot. Try the free download and check it out.

Yee-Haw! So now that problem is solved. Now I have a new problem. I can load EZ Drummer inside Reaper. But I can't hear anything. When you run the drums, the meters light up - but there's no sound. And none of the mute buttons are selected.

Kevin

Is it just EZ Drummer you can't hear with Reaper? Can you hear other VST's or guitar or mic input running in Reaper?

Last edited:
A buddy of mine swears up and down by FruityLoops for many of the same reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. He's been using it for years and won't touch anything else. He occasionally mutters things like, "People have no idea how good this program is."

I use Cubase and find it very easy. Keep in mind: this is coming from someone who treats their DAW like a 4 track...

Another vote for Reason 6 here. Easy to use, super powerful and sounds great. I love it for making quick backing tracks to jam over or to "sketch" song ideas fast.

Aren't Fruity Loops and Reason mostly for creating sounds and not for editing recorded audio?

If you hadn't already gotten it fixed I'd suggest buying an audio interface with a program bundled with it. I'm kind of on the fence with the PreSonus stuff because I've installed a few that worked great and I've got one at work right now that isn't working at all and I haven't had time to troubleshoot it. But the big thing is that they come with StudioOne which I'm starting to become a fan of. I'm actually an Adobe Audition guy myself (they bought Cool Edit and added VST support to it). It's been good for me and if you really dig into it there are a lot of really cool things in there, especially for noise removal which is something I've had to deal with for work stuff more often than not.

Anyway as for your problem we'd probably need to know some more specific details, but to me it sounds like it's probably a routing issue. I'm not familar with EZD, but it should be going to a mixer and that mixer has to be configured to output to your audio interface's output for monitoring. The levels are just showing that it's working internally, doesn't always mean that it's getting to the output. Actually you should have a master level control on the far end of the mixer. See if you're getting deflection there.

I'll warn you though, I haven't used Reaper in years so I'm just using generic troubleshooting here.

I think FruityLoops used to be that way... current versions allow audio recording and manipulation... though I've never used it. Ahh... I'm not being helpful at all here... sorry... I'll get off this thread.

Best of luck, ksmithdc!

Yea, the newer version of FL do pretty much everything and more that all the usual suspects do (protools logic etc). My sampler guy uses it for just about everything related to editing. There's a bunch of stuff that he can do easily in FL that can't be easily done on other DAWs as well. It's a very powerful program now, don't underestimate it!

Aren't Fruity Loops and Reason mostly for creating sounds and not for editing recorded audio?

Reason 6 is (as has been pointed out) a closed system, but it's awesome for recording audio (via the AxeFXII as a USB interface of course). Easy to record and playback tons of audio tracks on any modern computer. The built in effects and emulation of an SSL 9000k mixer is fantastic.

Propellerhead - Reason - The Mixer

Ableton live if u can do it pricewise -just the basic version. Easy to compose with IMO.

Totally Agree, I use Ableton Live as well. Composing songs is fast and programming drums is dead easy. Very stable as well, never had problems with it.
Ableton Live works Cross platform so it doesn't matter if you and a friend exchange projects using different operating systems.
Toobad reaper isn't working properly cause that's a pretty good DAW.

My top three is:

1. Ableton Live

2. Reaper

3. Cubase

If you are on a mac Logic is pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom