Need opinions on Axe FX II vs FX8

satchfrk

Hi guys,

This is probably going to end up being a longish post but I'd love to hear what users who own both the Axe FX II and FX8 think. I've owned an Axe Fx II for several years now and know enough to achieve the basics of whatever sound I'm going for. My workflow has usually been to find a preset that has the sound that I'm looking for and then I strip it down to the basics. One concept that I've always struggled with in the digital world is gain structuring. With the multitude of places to adjust gains (e.g preamp gain vs master volume vs mixer volumes) I've always just fiddled around till I had a patch that sounds good and has the same volume at gigging levels as other patches. Guaranteed that once all of this is working, I'm very hesitant to change anything about patches that I use with the band just because it took a whole lot of tweaking to get there.

Recently, I sold some gear I wasn't using and bought a Mesa Mark V 25. I can't even measure the amount of fun and joy that I've gained from playing through this amp. Everything seems to make sense when playing through a real amp. The number of knobs is limited and I find that I'm able to quickly and intuitively achieve the sounds that I'm going for. This gives me the flexibility to also tweak and change things around when I want to as opposed to being worried about messing things up at the last minute.

In terms of cabinets, I've also played through real Mesa cabs for the last two years. I just love the punch I get from them and have never really been able to gel with FRFR speakers.

Given all of this, I've been entertaining the thought of downsizing my Axe FX II + MFC 101 to a FX8 along with my Mesa Mark V 25. The style of music that I play with the band is progressive rock/metal. However here are some of my concerns.
- The Axe FX signal chain allows for the noise gate to be applied on input which is crucial for a high gain signal chain at gigging volumes. Does the FX8 also offer that capability? Does it work as well as the Axe FX? If I didn't have that, my guitar would start shrieking the second I stop playing.
- Are there any issues with hum or static when playing with the real amp that I wouldn't have faced so far with the Axe FX?
- Any other possible considerations for live playing that I'm not thinking of? I'm not concerned about going direct to PA because 90% of the sound engineers that I've worked with mic the cabinet anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I wish I had the option to test run the FX8 but because I won't be able to do that, I need to think long and hard before I make any changes here.

This might help your decision, couldn't be happier with this setup. I used a mark V 25 also and loved it, the only reason I switched to the full head was for the channel switching with the fx8 relays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the mark 25 you'll want two humbuster fractal cables, one for FX8 to amp input, and one for fx8 effects output to mark effects return. No Hum or noise this way

Thanks man, that answers a lot of questions! Question about this comment - "The only reason I switched to the full head was for the channel switching with the fx8 relays". Does that mean that you wanted all three channels of the Mark V or that there's something that can't be done with the Mark V 25?

Actually I believe you could switch between channel 1 and 2 with the fx8 in place of the foot switch! Just go relay 1 out of FX8 to footswitch input on amp? I just needed more volume because my drummer refuses to turn down LOL also I like having 3 channels for my cover band stuff

You'll need a TRS end on both ends of cable tho I believe since the mark 25 uses stereo cable ends on both end of footswitch since it has a button that also controls the EQ! But check with Mesa first, you can really screw up your amp trying to do relay switching with the wrong cables. The fractal humbuster cables are only TRS on one end

I wanted to be able to switch channels on my amp with the FX8 so that I could do channel changing while simultaneously changing my effects with one click, tap dancing sucks

Aloha,

Same here. I've been playing prog and metal for the past couple of years. I still get calls to do 60's through 80's pop, rock, dance... I've used an Axe-Fx II for the past couple of years having passed my Ultra on to a Military guy at a benefit gig. I agree with getting tone from the Axe. Once you have it, keep it. I've spent countless hours trying to get it back after an update or two. Don't get me wrong, I've never had any one in the audience say anything but good comments on the Axe through a SS amp. When I heard recordings of shows I couldn't hear a difference. In the room and on the strings, it was different for me.

My rig was Axe-Fx II through a Matrix GT1000. Stage air was moved by either a 2x12 or 2 1x12 Mesas. When possible, I pulled a mix off the board to a K12 for my floor monitor. FOH was either mic'd or direct (sound guy's choice). I have tried FRFR on stage but, like you, never connected. Got close a few times. My K12's fell completely dead in most rooms. IR's really started to improve by the time I parted with the Ultra. During my ownership the Ultra was powered by a VHT 2/90/2. My back and most airlines baggage fees convinced me to lighten the load. Matrix was the answer. I missed the tubes...

So, my solutions. I have a Mark V 25, Mark V, Soldano SLO, and a couple of Rectos. Two evnets happened very close to each other. The Fryette Power Station was released and the FX8 was available shortly after. Talk about an expensive couple of months. The Power Station put the tube on the back side of the Axe-Fx II that I missed. It worked. The Power Station also helped me to tone down the other amps in small rooms. FX8, well, it speaks for itself.

My main rig is now the Mark V 25 with the FX8. I used it in 4CM. Channel switching comes from the relays on the FX8. From there I have options. I can go wet dry wet using the Power Station as the wet signal and dry from the Mark V power amp. FOH can be fed either or both the Mark V and the Power Station. Most audiences are not gear geeks like I am so, the most common for me is the Mark V with FX8 in 4CM using speakers on stage. FOH is fed from the Cabclone on the Mark V with full effects from the FX8. From there I can monitor using a line out from the desk to a couple of K12's on the floor.

To answer your questions directly, hum hasn't been a problem with me. I made my own humbuster cable snake a long time ago and the gate kills the rest.

Hopefully I've given you some ideas on how to move forward. I think the FX8 is only limited by your imagination and amp you can afford. I'm sure Cliff will find ways to keep FX8 fresh.

i'm sure you will not regret it.

John

Last edited:
Aloha,

Same here. I've been playing prog and metal for the past couple of years. I still get calls to do 60's through 80's pop, rock, dance... I've used an Axe-Fx II for the past couple of years having passed my Ultra on to a Military guy at a benefit gig. I agree with getting tone from the Axe. Once you have it, keep it. I've spent countless hours trying to get it back after an update or two. Don't get me wrong, I've never had any one in the audience say anything but good comments on the Axe through a SS amp. When I heard recordings of shows I couldn't hear a difference. In the room and on the strings, it was different for me.

My rig was Axe-Fx II through a Matrix GT1000. Stage air was moved by either a 2x12 or 2 1x12 Mesas. When possible, I pulled a mix off the board to a K12 for my floor monitor. FOH was either mic'd or direct (sound guy's choice). I have tried FRFR on stage but, like you, never connected. Got close a few times. My K12's fell completely dead in most rooms. IR's really started to improve by the time I parted with the Ultra. During my ownership the Ultra was powered by a VHT 2/90/2. My back and most airlines baggage fees convinced me to lighten the load. Matrix was the answer. I missed the tubes...

So, my solutions. I have a Mark V 25, Mark V, Soldano SLO, and a couple of Rectos. Two evnets happened very close to each other. The Fryette Power Station was released and the FX8 was available shortly after. Talk about an expensive couple of months. The Power Station put the tube on the back side of the Axe-Fx II that I missed. It worked. The Power Station also helped me to tone down the other amps in small rooms. FX8, well, it speaks for itself.

My main rig is now the Mark V 25 with the FX8. I used it in 4CM. Channel switching comes from the relays on the FX8. From there I have options. I can go wet dry wet using the Power Station as the wet signal and dry from the Mark V power amp. FOH can be fed either or both the Mark V and the Power Station. Most audiences are not gear geeks like I am so, the most common for me is the Mark V with FX8 in 4CM using speakers on stage. FOH is fed from the Cabclone on the Mark V with full effects from the FX8. From there I can monitor using a line out from the desk to a couple of K12's on the floor.

To answer your questions directly, hum hasn't been a problem with me. I made my own humbuster cable snake a long time ago and the gate kills the rest.

Hopefully I've given you some ideas on how to move forward. I think the FX8 is only limited by your imagination and amp you can afford. I'm sure Cliff will find ways to keep FX8 fresh.

i'm sure you will not regret it.

John

Thank you for all this info John. Really appreciate it!

Aloha,

You're welcome, any time.

Another couple of things that may help.

1. "Every FX8 preset includes a Noise Gate connected directly to INPUT 1 [PRE]. (If you’re running POST ONLY, you’ll need to use a GATE block instead.) To edit noise gate parameters, turn to the GTE page from the FX page of the main menu (aka Stompbox Mode). " (Fractal FX8 Manual) I have no issues and I've played some frigg'n loud shows with small stages. If you have different results there is no issue using an outboard gate like ISP with the FX8.

2. Another note that I didn't share is that the drives in the FX8 are incredible. I don't normally use them so I don't want to give you the impression I'm filling houses and recording 15 thousand seat arenas on live albums. I have fiddled with them for a few hours and I can honestly see getting a call to fly tomorrow, grabbing only the FX8, and going to a USO show in some military MWR hall not having any idea what amp is on the other end might be. I can see getting really close to the tone I get with my "tube rig". I've dialed in some serious Petrucci tone and dialed it back to some guitar volume adjusted blues/rock things. I think I could pull it off with a good show. I'm inspired by my rig. The audience is inspired by the show, which is up to me-us. I think the FX8 through any decent guitar, SS or tube, amp, in front or 4CM, and a good speaker would not disappoint.

To be cliche, if it's not in your fingers, no amp, guitar, strings, strap, picks, effects pedal, stickers, lights, smoke, cab, cables... will change that. The FX8 makes a resaonably good wannabee like me with 35 years of almost half my income from playing get a better calls because I'm just playing and not complaining about what ever the complaint for the night is. It allows me to "shut up and play ... guitar".

The main point is, the FX8 will not make you better. It has the capability to quietly introduce the effects with the wildcard being the amp, which to me, is pure. I am one of 300,000,000 opinions though.

I wish you well and good luck with your decision.

John

John

Hi John.

I hope you don't mind me jumpimg in here. It sounds like the Mark V 25 and the FX8 is a pretty killer combination and one that I am seriously considering. You mention you can use the relays for channel switching but can you also set up one to switch the EQ on the Mark V using a 'stereo to 2 monos' cable? It would just add an extra dimension that was controllable from the FX8.

Cheers

David

Aloha,

RELAY 1, RELAY 2 (1/4” Tip-Ring-Sleeve Jacks) Two fully-independent TRS relays allow the FX8 to switch the channels or other functions of a connected amplifier or other device. The state of each relay can be changed manually (via a footswitch) or by a pre-programmed setting in a SCENE. See p Section 4 : The Relays for more. (http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FX8/FX8-Owners-Manual.pdf)

Yes, you could mechanically hook a TS to a splitter, but why? All you need to operate the EQ and channel switching is one TRS (stereo style) cable and program the FX8.

If you do use TS with a splitter, I would caution what you hook it up to especially if you are planning on using it to drive two different devices. If they are of different polarity you could blow some caps in the switching system.

Good luck,
John

Last edited:
Aloha,

RELAY 1, RELAY 2 (1/4” Tip-Ring-Sleeve Jacks) Two fully-independent TRS relays allow the FX8 to switch the channels or other functions of a connected amplifier or other device. The state of each relay can be changed manually (via a footswitch) or by a pre-programmed setting in a SCENE. See p Section 4 : The Relays for more. (http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FX8/FX8-Owners-Manual.pdf)

Yes, you could mechanically hook a TS to a splitter, but why? All you need to operate the EQ and channel switching is one TRS (stereo style) cable and program the FX8.

If you do use TS with a splitter, I would caution what you hook it up to especially if you are planning on using it to drive two different devices. If they are of different polarity you could blow some caps in the switching system.

Good luck,
John
That is brilliant, thanks John. Took the plunge and the Mesa V 25 is ordered, just waiting on my name to come up in the G66 wait list to get my FX8 as well.

Back
Top Bottom