Need help with lead sounds

SplitImage

I am using the Cameron amp preset which has an awesome rhythm sound, nice and full, crunchy, nice bottom etc. The problem is when I do a solo it is quite thin sounding, almost as if I switched to single coil pickups when I am using my ESP with EMGs. Any thoughts on what settings or parameters I need to tweak to make my solos cut through in the mix and have great sustain? I appreciate any help or ideas anyone has. I am new to the AX8 so please don't beat me up too bad on this...lol

I am using the Cameron amp preset which has an awesome rhythm sound, nice and full, crunchy, nice bottom etc. The problem is when I do a solo it is quite thin sounding, almost as if I switched to single coil pickups when I am using my ESP with EMGs. Any thoughts on what settings or parameters I need to tweak to make my solos cut through in the mix and have great sustain? I appreciate any help or ideas anyone has. I am new to the AX8 so please don't beat me up too bad on this...lol
There are several ways to do this:
1. Using the x/y states to create different settings on the amp or using a different amp
2. Adding a PEQ or GEQ in the chain and use it to adjust EQ - usually bumping up the mids to help cut
3. Adding a Drive before the amp block to push the amp
4. Using a Filter block to bump up the volume
There are probably others. All the things above can be controlled in different which is great but takes a while to learn how. I highly recommend the great videos done by Leon Todd @2112 and Austin Buddy @austinbuddy. They’re fantastic and really help get you up to speed on basic functions, presets, etc. The forum is your friend. Good luck.

Try adding a drive block in front of the amp with the "T808 OD" model with the drive at '0', and the level at '10'. That will focus more mids going into the amp, adding more gain and sustain.

And a Filter block after the amp and cab blocks set to "Peaking", Gain at around 2 dB, frequency between 600 and 800 Hz, Level between 2 and 3 dB. That will give you a mid/volume boost.

If you use scenes, just have those 2 blocks engage in your solo scene. As well as a delay? (with the bypass states set to "Mute Fx in")

If you don't use scenes, assign the bypass mode of all of the blocks associated with your lead tone to a "Control Switch", and assigned that to a foot switch.

It would be interesting to look at your preset post a few more times so you can upload it so we can look at it!

There are several ways to do this:
1. Using the x/y states to create different settings on the amp or using a different amp
2. Adding a PEQ or GEQ in the chain and use it to adjust EQ - usually bumping up the mids to help cut
3. Adding a Drive before the amp block to push the amp
4. Using a Filter block to bump up the volume
There are probably others. All the things above can be controlled in different which is great but takes a while to learn how. I highly recommend the great videos done by Leon Todd @2112 and Austin Buddy @austinbuddy. They’re fantastic and really help get you up to speed on basic functions, presets, etc. The forum is your friend. Good luck.

Thanks!

+1X2. Not knowing what you are currently doing is going to make it difficult to offer suggestions.

Not much more than a factory Cameron amp block and a few effects, very subtle. So I have been adding a few things today that was recommended in previous posts and it is getting much better but won't be able to tell until my next gig. I added a filter for boost and it seems to work well but I just need to cut through in the mix, and have great sustain. All 80s rock stuff.

Not much more than a factory Cameron amp block and a few effects, very subtle. So I have been adding a few things today that was recommended in previous posts and it is getting much better but won't be able to tell until my next gig. I added a filter for boost and it seems to work well but I just need to cut through in the mix, and have great sustain. All 80s rock stuff.
Forgot to mention @Moke and @Glenn DeLaune who offer great commercial presets which include several scenes one of which is always a lead tone. It’s very helpful to check out their presets and how they set up the lead scenes. Lots to learn there.

One good musician from my country made an 1-hour duration video showing him creating lead sound with his Axe Fx 2. He used screen capture application, opened the Axe-Edit on the screen and strated to gave explanations simultaneously with fiiling the grid with effect blocks and tweaking those effects.
And, at the very begginig of his explanations, he mentioned, that, according to what he knows from his own experience, some guitar amps DO HAVE thin sound on high notes as the default parameter for them. He also said, that he had had Soldano X88-R preamp, that was custom shop build and was usually assembled only by individual order. Price for the brand new one was about $4000. And even this high-tech piece of equipment tended to sound thin on high notes.
He also assumed, that this problem might occur because of trying to use guitar amplification on bedroom volume - he concentrated on the idea, that maybe amp engineers incorporate certain technical parameters, requirments and optimal techincal condidtions into amps which allow every certain amp model sound its best only when this amp's exploitation conditions meet all of the aforementioned things.
Anyway, his decision was to choose a certain amp model, that initially sounded thick itself. He used Spawn Nitrous amp with Engl Pro 4х12 V30 SM57 cab.

And it was possible to hear all the thickness of resulting sound even before he started to tweak it. He used no GEQ or PEQ by the way, only drive pedal before amp, but it was to make sound even more THICKER.

- link to his video. You can hear examples of the guitar tone at 23:06 - 23:43, 24:57 - 25:07, 29:05 - 29:26. From 39:50 to 42:10 he changes Spawn to Soldano to demonstrate how thinner Soldano sounds and then goes back to Spawn to show all the thickness again. Although you may not be familiar with the language, you can just watch Axe-Edit grid on video and listen to his playing.

So, maybe it will make sense to check different amps and cabs from the list of AX8? Personally I've noticed that cab ALSO AFFECTS A LOT on a structure of sound.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I've started using a Control Switch to change a few parameters at the same time for my lead tone. Depending upon the length of the solo I sometimes choose the 'momentary' option for the Control Switch. The parameters I typically attach the switch to in the Amp block are Input Drive, Boost, Master Volume and I'll usually turn off the Bright Cap to keep it from becoming too harsh.

The Control Switch can be attached to any Modifier on any effect that is active in the scene. With some creative thinking, you can use the same switch to turn parameters down or off as well as increase them or turn them on.

Back
Top Bottom