Need help with adding an external MIDI switcher

Joero6

Inspired
I run the Axe2XL + with the MFC MK3. I want to control a Rocktron Patchmate. Currently the MK3 is set to have 1-5 as presets/scenes and 6-17 as IA switches. The goal is access the pedals controlled by the patchmate with IA switches. (Example IA 6 turns on and off Patchmate loop one with a noise gate etc.) I have the Axe set to midi ch 1 and the mfc echo is on. The Patchmate has ben factory reset. Now if I could just get a bit of help how to map this out I would really appreciate it. I do have the manual for the patchmate that i believe lists the individual cc numbers for the different loops. Thanks Joe

Yeah that's what I am trying to get done right now. At this moment when I hit buttons 1-5 it pulls up 1-5 on the patchmate...buttons 6-17 do nothing. I certanly don't want buttons 1-5 to do anything to the patchmate. Not sure what to set the patchmate to as far as the midi options. Somebody said to use channel 2 as the axe is channel 1. Joe

You need to put the Patchmate on a different midi channel, and set the IA switches to send on that channel.

You need to put the Patchmate on a different midi channel, and set the IA switches to send on that channel.
I have switched the midi control change channel to 2. I tried switching the IA switch but maybe I am doing it wrong? Edit, midi, page over 8 times, toggle up from IA1 to IA6, parameter over to CC#10 (which my patchmate manual says 10 is the l1/c1 i am trying to activate, save. Nothing. However, 1-5 which are my preset buttons recall 1-5 on the patchmate. So i need 1-5 to do nothing and 3 or 4 of my 6-17 to access the patchmate. Joe

I have switched the midi control change channel to 2. I tried switching the IA switch but maybe I am doing it wrong? Edit, midi, page over 8 times, toggle up from IA1 to IA6, parameter over to CC#10 (which my patchmate manual says 10 is the l1/c1 i am trying to activate, save. Nothing. However, 1-5 which are my preset buttons recall 1-5 on the patchmate. So i need 1-5 to do nothing and 3 or 4 of my 6-17 to access the patchmate. Joe
You need to set the Patchmate to listen on midi channel 2.

You need the MFC to remain on channel 1. Only the IA switches (setup as General Use) should send CCs on channel 2.

That
You need to set the Patchmate to listen on midi channel 2.

You need the MFC to remain on channel 1. Only the IA switches (setup as General Use) should send CCs on channel 2.
's what I am trying to do, but I guess I am doing something wrong.

That

's what I am trying to do, but I guess I am doing something wrong.
I'm out at dinner right now. I'll try to check the manual for the Patchmate when I get home.

If the MFC is on channel 1 then preset changes should not affect it when it's on channel 2.

If the MFC is on channel 1 then preset changes should not affect it when it's on channel 2.

By default each MFC preset sends the same PC# on all 16 channels. There's a setting to disable PC reception on the Patchmate. Or (more work) the PC could be disabled for the Patchmate channel in each MFC preset.

IAs with a CC configured manually will need their Axe-FX function set to "none". Also make sure the Patchmate is set to respond to the CCs you're configuring on the MFC. (From the manual it looks like you can select from groups of 8 consecutive CC#s.)

I think too, the MFC is sending PCs to the patchmate. This is a default setting you have to change!

I have the Patchmate set with midi mapping off, program mapping left at 1-1,controller mapping untouched, program change channel on 2, and control change channel on 2. If I am reading this right, the P.M. loops are 10-18 which is 1-9. I have been trying to sync IA 6 to loop 1(10). I am sure I am missing something simple here, but if somebody could walk me through this it would be amazing. I am several hours in and can't move ahead from when I started. The fact that buttons 1-5 call up presetson the P.M. tells me it is sending info (just not what I want ).1 callus up 124, 2 calls123, 3 calls122, 4 calls 121, and 5 calls up 26. In the end, I want to keep the MFC set up the way I have it now.1-5 as presets/scenes, 6-17 as IA's to bring effects in and out with a few of the IA's working the individual loops on the P.M. Joe

Check out page 18 of the manual. http://www.rocktron.com/uploads/2/2/2/5/22258814/patchmate_manual.pdf

You should verify button 8 is lit as shown there, indicating program change filtering. That should prevent MFC presets from changing the Patchmate preset. You might still see loop status changing if IAs are configured to send a saved state on the MFC. Deal with this by enabling the "global" option for those IAs on the MFC if you want loop state maintained through preset changes.

If I am reading this right, the P.M. loops are 10-18 which is 1-9.

I'm not sure what this means. On page 21 of the Patchmate manual, it seems that the LEDs indicate the CC "bank" which is a range of 8 CCs listed to the right. Select bank 2 (CC#s 8-15) or higher since the MFC uses CC#0 as a bank command (which would go out w/ the ignored program change) and doesn't allow IAs to send CC#0 except as a custom message. Then configure MFC IAs to send 0/127 on the CC#s matching your choice.

Also disable control change filtering on Patchmate as shown on page 20.

Check out page 18 of the manual. http://www.rocktron.com/uploads/2/2/2/5/22258814/patchmate_manual.pdf

You should verify button 8 is lit as shown there, indicating program change filtering. That should prevent MFC presets from changing the Patchmate preset. You might still see loop status changing if IAs are configured to send a saved state on the MFC. Deal with this by enabling the "global" option for those IAs on the MFC if you want loop state maintained through preset changes.

I'm not sure what this means. On page 21 of the Patchmate manual, it seems that the LEDs indicate the CC "bank" which is a range of 8 CCs listed to the right. Select bank 2 (CC#s 8-15) or higher since the MFC uses CC#0 as a bank command (which would go out w/ the ignored program change) and doesn't allow IAs to send CC#0 except as a custom message. Then configure MFC IAs to send 0/127 on the CC#s matching your choice.

Also disable control change filtering on Patchmate as shown on page 20.
I am not using the loop 8, I have the original version the Rocktron Patchmate.Not sure of the differences. Joe

OK so an update. I used the controller mapping and set loop 1 to cc10, loop 2 as cc11, and loop 3 as cc 12. I set IA06 to cc 10 IA07 to cc11 and IA08 to cc12. IA06 works, however, IA 7 and 8 do nothing. Any suggestions? Joe

6, 7, and 8, are the IA switches I am wanting to link to the P.M. So far only 6 is working. The only thing that happens for 7 and 8 when pressed is the midi in light flashes once on the front panel of the Axe. I press edit, midi, page over 7 times and IA 6-8 are set to none. I page over 1 more time and IA 6-8 are all set c1 and CH01 with different cc numbers, so I am not sure why they don't work the same. The thing is no matter waht cc number I give IA 6, it still turns on loop 1. Joe

Update, I think I got it. I was trying to save more than 1 change at a time and I guess you can't do that. If this is indeed solved, thanks to everybody who chimed in and helped. Joe

Back
Top Bottom