Need help with a reverse delay...

eric_

I've been trying to create a specific type of reverse delay and have been having trouble with it. Beginning to think I don't fully understand what the reverse delay is doing.

The reverse delay needs to be 100% wet which is easily achieved. Then I need to have it set so that I can play for two bars (as set by tap tempo), during which there would be no dry signal coming through (given 100% mix), and then after those two bars the reverse delayed signal would begin and play for two bars.

I thought I understood this and set the delay time tempo to 2 bars. However sometimes the reverse delay begins before the 2 bars have elapsed. And sometimes it seems like the delayed signal is shorted than 2 bars. So I'm wondering at what point does the reverse delay start "recording" and subsequently playing back the signal in reverse? Is it when I engage the effect? If so I assume I'd need to start playing immediately when it's engaged for this to work?

Apologies I don't have my guitar in front of me so can't test things out right now.

This feels like it would be easier to achieve with the Looper block IMHO.

I actually hadn't thought of that so will try it next time. With regards to the reverse delay, can you speak to how it works in this scenario? Would it begin recording as soon as the effect is engaged? If so, and if the tempo was set to 2 bars, would that mean that it's continually recording in 2 bars blocks? For example, if I began playing 1 bar and two beats after I engaged the effect, would the reverse playback then begin two beats later (at the point when 2 bars had elapsed since the effect was engaged)?

Would it begin recording as soon as the effect is engaged? If so, and if the tempo was set to 2 bars, would that mean that it's continually recording in 2 bars blocks?
Kind of and yes. With feedback at 0 you'd get a single repeat. It's continuously recording in X beat increments and when you unbypass it you could get dropped into a whole or even half a recording cycle. It's unpredictable. BUT there's a Trigger Restart parameter on the block and you can toggle to start the recording cycle fresh -- I'm not certain that it's toggled on un-bypass or not. It might be. Otherwise you might be able to build a compound action on a footswitch that both un-bypasses the effect and triggers that restart parameter.

Paging @Bakerman here who tends to be pretty knowledgeable about this stuff.

Yes, enable "trig restart" and control "run" parameter to start recording on beat 1.

If triggering with input level, you'll need to keep run enabled during the last repeat if you plan to stop playing. ADSR (sustain mode) can be more precise than envelope controller for this, with sustain matching delay time and release at minimum.

Yes, enable "trig restart" and control "run" parameter to start recording on beat 1.

If triggering with input level, you'll need to keep run enabled during the last repeat if you plan to stop playing. ADSR (sustain mode) can be more precise than envelope controller for this, with sustain matching delay time and release at minimum.

Only really got round to trying this properly this evening and not having much success. Not helped by the fact that I don't really know what ADSR controllers do. I tried matching the sustain to the delay time with release at minimum but I'm getting no sound at all?

Thanks in advance!

Did you select that ADSR as the delay "run" modifier source?

Check ADSR "level" parameter and set to 100% if it isn't already. Lower threshold if it doesn't seem to be triggering run at all. Watching the run modifier dot movement can be useful to verify the ADSR value is changing.

I think you could do this, but my guess is that you are exceeding the maximum available delay time.

Yeah I think this would be much easier using the Looper. Set it to full wet, set playback to reverse, hit record, play your phrase and then press play. You'll have your previously played guitar riff playing back in reverse. Don't even have to worry about setting delay times etc. Much easier for you.

Looper could be easier to set up for one reversed phrase. End recording with "once" control to have it play back once.

Reverse delay would allow longer reversed parts with any number of input phrases. I guess the OP didn't mention that requirement. The looper can actually do this too with the right setup. Have reverse enabled, then record a phrase (probably quantized length) and end recording by enabling stack (dub mix 0%). After each loop cycle from that point, toggle the "reverse" control. A tempo-synced LFO or sequencer that runs when "stack" is activated could keep the reversing synced with loop length. There probably isn't much of a reason to try this unless you need both delay blocks for something else, or want a phrase length greater than 8 seconds. Reverse delay's crossfade parameter will prevent clicks/pops that can occur with the looper stack approach.

I have similar problem. I think it would be great to have an option for trigger restart simple by switching delay on. That's how it works in few line6 devices with reverse delay, and it's really useful .
Maybe Fractal can think about it.

Back
Top Bottom