Need help troubleshooting a dual-amp preset

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all, hope this is the correct forum section for this.

I've been struggling for quite a while with the attached preset. I'm trying to create a live preset with two high gain amps. For whatever reason I'm not getting a full-bodied heavy sound when combining two amps (I tried different combinations, these have worked best for me thus far). No matter how I try to boost the mids (or cut highs/lows, up until the point where it sounds totally ridiculous and way too nasal and like there's no gain at all) it gets lost in the live mix, and generally sounds kind of shallow.

So I thought maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks out here might show me what I'm doing wrong here.

Generally what I want to achieve with this preset is a high gain tone that would be tight as an ENGL but not as dry, and have some Recto-esque feel to it, if it makes sense at all. What I'm getting though is not ENGL plus Mesa, but rather Mesa minus ENGL.

Pay attention to Scene 3, that's the main rhythm tone I'm struggling with. Other scenes are either unused or I don't have problems with them.

Oh, and one more thing - since I'm on Quantum beta, I can't use User Cabs. Generally I use Ownhammer IRs, which makes things somewhat better, but not much. The shallowness remains.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Dual Amp HG test.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Sorry ... I don't get why you can't use user cabs ... I'm on Quantum too and I definitely do it all the time !!

Sounds like maybe you can try to reload the fw ... Sometimes it loads "wrong" .

I suggest you to take a look to the thread by ML Sound Lab about getting a tight MK IV sound ... A lot of useful infos .

Last suggestion , I highly recommend you to play a lot with the master settings of the amp soms of your choice , sometimes a slight change make all the difference in terms of chug and overall tightness

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as user cabs are concerned, there's a bug in Quantum, and it's a problem for some users, not just me. It was reported that the bug has been identified and fixed internally, so when Quantum is officially released, it should be okay. But I don't have problems with cabs. Cabs matter, of course, and they make a huge difference, but no matter which cabs I use with this preset I can't make it sound good.

As regards MV, yes, I know how much difference it makes, and generally I have no problem getting the sound I want. I just can't get the dual-amp high gain one work for live sound. Not high gain in general, and not dual amp in general. And not for recording, just for live.

I'll check that thread, but, if I remember correctly, it's not quite about my problem, I'm rather happy with my Mark IV sounds.

Back
Top Bottom