Need help setting up an SP-1 Pedal

sgilsinger

Inspired
I was wondering if there is a way to control the gain of an amp block and the volume of the same amp block without using a volume block using the SP-1? I want to be able to use the pedal to reduce the gain by 50% and click over and be able to reduce the volume by about 50%.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well you should be able to use Chris trick, it's posted on his sight axefxtutorials.com it should work the same way as how he outlines it for volume and wah. My guess would be external one for gain and then external 2 for the button on your pedal to external 2. Now mind you I'm just taking a guess this might not work.

Well you should be able to use Chris trick, it's posted on his sight axefxtutorials.com it should work the same way as how he outlines it for volume and wah. My guess would be external one for gain and then external 2 for the button on your pedal to external 2. Now mind you I'm just taking a guess this might not work.

I watched the tutorial and have the pedal calibrated into external 2 and 3,but in the tutorial he shows using a separate volume block.I am wondering if there is a way to control the gain and volume in just an amp block.

You can control gain and volume in the amp block with the use of 2 modifiers connected to the same pedal but it will always do both at the same time. I do this some to use the pedal to change between clean and driven as the gain goes down the volume goes up. The reason for the volume blocks is to allow the switch to change what the pedal is controlling to do one or the other. if you do not want to use volume blocks I suggest a second pedal.

It's possible in the amp block but requires a complicated setup using both LFOs and about 8 modifiers. This is similar to the LFO uses described here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-discussion/48691-lfos-controller-transforming.html

The easiest solution would be one vol/pan block before amp, another after. Is there a reason you don't want to or can't use volume blocks, like grid space or CPU usage?

My Cpu is already at 92%,I don't want to increase it any further.I am currently using one pedal to control a wah block and wanted to add an SP-1 to control both the volume and gain of just one of my two amp blocks.View attachment Smashbox1 Quantum1.syx

You can control gain and volume in the amp block with the use of 2 modifiers connected to the same pedal but it will always do both at the same time. I do this some to use the pedal to change between clean and driven as the gain goes down the volume goes up. The reason for the volume blocks is to allow the switch to change what the pedal is controlling to do one or the other. if you do not want to use volume blocks I suggest a second pedal.

Would you mind explaining to me how I can do this,I guess it would be ok to derease the gain and volume at the same time in the amp block.I need it to decrease by 50%.Or is there a tutorial somewhere? I have watched Chris's videos.but haven't found exactly what I m trying to do.

I use one of my exps set for external 2. in the amp first page attach a modifier to the gain that is controlled by that external controller, set a max and a min so it starts and stops were you want it to. now attach a modifier to the amp level controlled by the same external, set the max and min so it starts and stops were you want it. you can adjust the start and stop of the sweep also to adjust the way the pedal effects the modifier.

I was wondering if there is a way to control the gain of an amp block and the volume of the same amp block without using a volume block using the SP-1? I want to be able to use the pedal to reduce the gain by 50% and click over and be able to reduce the volume by about 50%.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not exactly. You can control the gain and the level at exactly the same time with 1 pedal, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want to do?

You could set up the switch itself in the SP-1 to reduce the gain to 50% using an 'external controller'/'Modifier'. Then the 'Expression Pedal' to control the 'Level' in the Amp block for volume control.

Not exactly. You can control the gain and the level at exactly the same time with 1 pedal, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want to do?

You could set up the switch itself in the SP-1 to reduce the gain to 50% using an 'external controller'/'Modifier'. Then the 'Expression Pedal' to control the 'Level' in the Amp block for volume control.

OK,can you explain in more detail how I could do this please?

I just realized that this is in the 'Other Midi Controllers' section of the forum.

1...What midi controller do you have?

2...What Axe FX model do you have?

3...What firmware are you running?

4...Do you want to control the gain and level of the amp simultaneously with the expression pedal?

5...Or do you want to use the switch to change the gain and the expression pedal to only control the amp level?

Last edited:
I just realized that this is in the 'Other Midi Controllers' section of the forum.

1...What midi controller do you have?

2...What Axe FX model do you have?

3...What firmware are you running?

4...Do you want to control the gain and level of the amp simultaneously with the expression pedal?

5...Or do you want to use the switch to change the gain and the expression pedal to only control the amp level?

I have anMFC101 1st generation,an AXEFX2 mark 2,Quantum 1.0,I could settle for changing the amp and gain levels at the same time.I wanted to be able to use the sp1 to control the amp volume and amp gain separately.

I have anMFC101 1st generation,an AXEFX2 mark 2,Quantum 1.0,I could settle for changing the amp and gain levels at the same time.I wanted to be able to use the sp1 to control the amp volume and amp gain separately.
I also attached the preset in an earlier thread.If the amp gain and volume are decreased at the same time I would need the to decrease about 50% from where they currently are.

Worked 15 hours today and maybe the same all week? No Axe Fx time:mad:

In the meantime.......This almost always pisses people off these days?......and I really, really, mean no disrespect, but.........................all the answers to all your questions are in the manuals.

Yes you can control the 'Gain' and 'Level' parameters in the Amp block (as well as any 'controllable' parameter in any block) with any 'Internal' or 'External' controller.

The real problem with this is......You would use the pedal to lower the amp block 'Level' to your pre-programmed lower level by moving the pedal half-way between the 'Toe' and 'Heel' position. Now in order to activate the switch in the pedal, you have to put the pedal in the full 'Toe' position, which would bring the volume back to it's max setting. The same would be true when controlling the 'Gain'?

Do you use scenes? I have 3 expression pedals. 1 for only volume, 1 for Wah and various Delay stuff, and 1 for Pitch and Acoustic Sim level. All 'Gain' related control is from my guitar volume knob or through "Scene Controllers' and 'Filter' blocks as a 'Boost' or 'Cut'.

Back
Top Bottom