Need help replicating warmth and thump

markyd

Inspired
Hello all,
I just loved the warmth and thump controls on the ultra. The way I finally got "my tone" was to crank the warmth and thump. Since these controls were removed on the axe fx II, I am having difficulty replicating the sound I got from the ultra. What advanced paramaters will help replicate the sound of the warmth and tump controls cranked on the II?
Thanks for your input,
Mark

I'm not as experienced as many on this forum, but in my experience the warmth and thump on the Ultra did not make a huge difference in tone or were very subtle. Maybe they were more important in high gain tones, not sure.

I suggest setting up an amp and experimenting with each parameter on the Advanced page. Turn them full left and right and get a feel for what they do. I was able to find a combination that gave me awesome tone without the thump and warmth. I think it's just a matter of finding the right combination of the settings. JMHO.

On the ultra, with firmware 11, warmth, at least on high gain amps, seems to roll off the high end, which you can easily do with a low pass filter or a peq with band 5 set to blocking, and just sweep the frequency knob till you find a sweet spot and experiment with the q to see if you like a gradual roll off or a sudden hard cut!

I still have no real clue what the thump does :-S I thought initially that it'd emulate that tube amp SLAM you get from higher volumes, like a slghtly slow attack compressor, with a high transient feel. Like something hitting you in the face :p But I dunno, just sounds....funny! If anyone can accurately explain what thump does i'll be at least informed, if tonally no better off!

I guess part of my question is what EXACTLY did the warmth and thump do? Once I get a handle on that, it will help me replicate those controls. I found that with high gain sounds, those controls gave me exactly what I wanted.

I think there are bound to be things that people miss about the Ultra/Standard.
A new updated unit will never be better in all areas for everyone.
Time will tell what elusive magic is unique to the Ultra/Standard. There will be some thing/things for sure.
Just like the original Pod has 1 or 2 sounds people claim has never been outdone by any of the newer ones.
There are still things i miss about my old girlfriend even though the latest one has many features that are new and improved.
I'm having fun tweaking her knobs for sure!!!

Last edited:
I think there are bound to be things that people miss about the Ultra/Standard.
A new updated unit will never be better in all areas for everyone.
Time will tell what elusive magic is unique to the Ultra/Standard. There will be some thing/things for sure.
Just like the original Pod has 1 or 2 sounds people claim has never been outdone by any of the newer ones.
There are still things i miss about my old girlfriend even though the latest one has many features that are new and improved.
I'm having fun tweaking her knobs for sure!!!

Excellent post, love that.

Back
Top Bottom