Need help please gig tonight

msmith886

Inspired
I have to play a wedding tonight and am trying to figure out what delay they are using or settings for this song.

Can anyone please tell or help me w it

Oh, wow. Such a nice sound and a great song! Let's see if we can help you out! The guitar part sounds simple, with most of the rhythm coming from the delay. The delay repeats sound very uniform -- not a lot of decay. And very controlled (i.e. it's like there's an exact number of repeats every time, not a long tail of decaying repeats).

That immediately makes me think that the Multi-Delay block's Ten Tap mode could be of use to us here. Ten Tap mode lets you set an *exact* number of repeats and you can set each repeat's level individually so you can have a pattern with a feel to it that the delays follow.

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 10.07.41 AM.png
We can dial in a little pattern on the late repeats so it starts out very precise and then has a bit of a saucy feel towards the end. I find that makes overlaps in repeats as you shift notes around a little more pleasant. Less mechanical.

Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 10.07.44 AM.png

Put it all together and here's what you get (mind my terrible playing here...I just kind of coped what I thought was a close approximation of what he's playing, not the precise song):

Here's a preset that was made for the AX8 using the Q6.00 beta firmware: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4959

Will this work on old firmware if I haven't updated to the Q6 yet ?

If not what delay's are you using or settings could I use to get by with old firmware

Saving me right now man I can't thank you enough !!

Maybe? Try it. Won't hurt to try it. Worst case you can just dial in the delay from the screen shots.

Could I just add that delay setting on an already existing preset ? Only have to play a little of the song but still want it to sound close.

If possible is there a way to email that delay setting ?

Just add the delay setting to an existing preset, yes. There's nothing special about the reset of that preset. It's all in that one Multi-Tap Delay block. Add it parallel and then copy the settings.

No, I'm not going to email you anything. My gear is packed up now; I'm gigging tonight. You have everything you need in the screenshot to replicate the delay settings. That's why I provided them.

Hey Ian
Thanks for posting the screenshots and the explanation.....Nice of you.......I never really messed with the 10 tap.
No worries. The Multi-Delay is FANTASTIC and it's easy to forget about with such a really excellent "normal" Delay block. I highly recommend spending some time going through the options in the Multi-Delay. There's lots of interesting options in there.

For example: take the 10 tap, use all 10 taps, but change the levels of the taps (and set the decay to 0) -- boom! Delay with patterns! I used to use the pattern delay setting on my empress superdelay as a way to bootstrap some song writing, it's nice to have this in the magic black box too.

Sadly, and this is the first time ever for Mr. @AlGrenadine 's FRACTOOL (latest version) to fail me, your loverly preset won't convert to MK 1 on Q6...
Strange. All the things you need to replicate the delay (which is all that the preset had in that was unique) are in the screen shots. The rest of the blocks were, IIRC, the standard blocks from the factory Mr. Z 38 patch.

Thanks for this - didn't event dig that far into the diff delays so I can see this being very useful on a few tunes.

Back
Top Bottom