Need Help On Power Amps and Cabs

Shenron

Hello to whomever reads this!

I purchased the Ultra a few months ago and I'm new to this world. So don't hate as I'm just getting my feet wet.
I purchased the Ultra so that I can have the same tone that I recorded with while I play live.

I want to do the Axe to Power Amp to Cab set up, as I don't use a lot of effects.

So here's my question, I bought a QSC GX3 but I now know after two band rehearsals that it is not what I want.
I have to turn it up all the way to be audible in the mix, which includes two guitars, bass, drums w/ triggers and vox.

So I have been keen to seeing that people suggest Matrix; I've been looking at the GT1000FX as I play live every weekend and record.
But, I have a Line 6 cab with celestions that I bought in 2007.

So my question is, are there any recommendations for a power amp and cab set up that you knowledgable people here on the forum
could offer me.

If it helps, we are melodic/neoclassical death/black/power metal. I'm currently using a patch that we recorded with that has a 5150 with a noise gate
and a slight bit of reverb.

Thanks to who ever gives me advice.

Well I'm running a Matrix GT800FX, and just using one side of that into an 8 ohm 2x12 cab (CL80s) has been plenty to keep up with anything so far. I originally went with the FRFR path but realised I didn't really have a need for it and that a simple guitar cab that the idiot "sound guys" around here can just whack a mic in front of is probably gonna be easier (even though one would think, "Here, jam this into a line in and we're basically done," would be easier). I basically just used one IR setup for all my cabs in the band, and don't use any FX or anything that need the full range, so a guitar cab works fine for me.

Most people who go with the Matrix stuff seem to be pretty happy (myself included). A few maybe go back to a tube poweramp, or have changed to active FRFR monitors or whatever, but I think the general consensus is there's not much to be unhappy about with the Matrix gear. And their customer service is great.

If you wanted to go for the GT1000FX, you could just try whatever Line 6 cab you've got. If you like it, easy. If not, then you can start looking at other cab options. A bit hard to suggest anything there as it's largely down to what you like and what you want to spend.

I've used my Ultra with a Rocktron Velocity 300, a Matrix GT1000FX and a Mesa 2:90 into two 2x12 cabs for live gigs and band practice. All of them were loud enough to cut through a loud band and all sounded good with the Ultra. I like the Mesa best with that rig so that's the set up I mostly use but there's nothing wrong with the Matrix or the Rocktron. It depends how much you have to spend really.

I also tried the Ultra with a Marshall 8008 but it wasn't a good match IMO. A friend uses an Axe II with a VHT 2:90 into a Mesa cab and it sounds great. He also has a Matrix and that sounds excellent too.

Awesome, I appreciate the input. It pretty much confirms what I was wanting to go with in the beginning. Thanks.

Really depends on your price range and if you want tubes or not. I am very happy with my Rocktron Velocity 300. I previously used my buddy's Mesa and it sounded great too but for what I do solid state is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom