need help nailing the delay sound in "shut up and dance"

So, giging this weekend and the singer in the band
would like to do Walk on the Moon's hit "Shut up and Dance"
The intro to this song has a clean arp part that has a very "U2'ish" delay sound.
Does anyone more familiar with this type of delay tone have any idea of what
this is, and could either point me in the direction of a patch with this type of delay,
or could give me a delay type and settings that would get me there?
We're just a power trio, so nailing this delay effect would go a long way to
recreating the song live.

This is the tune I'm, referring to:

I play this song in a band. I don't have access to my Axe-FX right now to give you the exact settings, but I basically use a dotted 1/8th note delay with a long trail and a decent amount of reverb, works decently.

I play this song in a band. I don't have access to my Axe-FX right now to give you the exact settings, but I basically use a dotted 1/8th note delay with a long trail and a decent amount of reverb, works decently.
Thanks David! There seems to be some sort of a "percussive" effect mixed in with this delay that I don't hear with your regular dotted 8's?
Would you place the delay pre or post amp? And would you go say Deluxe Mind Guy pre amp, or 2290 post amp?

Just listened to "Where the streets have no name" and realize that is pretty close the
what I'm hearing in "shut up and dance". Shouldn't be hard to find a patch for that U2 song right?

The main riff is 2 separate parts. He plays the “melodic notes” without delay and lets it ring. Since he’s letting it ring, you can’t also have the muted percussive attack. Live I’ve heard he doesn’t do the delay at all.

Separate from that is the dotted 8th percussive thing.

So you probably won’t get the exact same sound as the recording, but if you just do it like the U2 technique it will sound close.

-edit- wrote this without reading the article above haha! People told me I was wrong about this often.

The main riff is 2 separate parts. He plays the “melodic notes” without delay and lets it ring. Since he’s letting it ring, you can’t also have the muted percussive attack. Live I’ve heard he doesn’t do the delay at all.

Separate from that is the dotted 8th percussive thing.

So you probably won’t get the exact same sound as the recording, but if you just do it like the U2 technique it will sound close.

-edit- wrote this without reading the article above haha! People told me I was wrong about this often.
lol! Now I just have to convince the bass player to do that muted percussive thing then :confused::rolleyes:

As an idea to simulate the two tracks with just one guitar, maybe you could 'generate' the percussive dotted 1/8th note delay part with some 'noise' that is 'scattered' into short (percussive) bits as a second track to your orignal guitar track, and then trigger this generated percussion track by the attack of your playing (so it starts as soon as you hit and let ring the arpeggio)

As an example for something similar (i.e. 'triggering' a second, generated sound), Moke's "Velvet Sun 2" preset comes to mind:
https://www.custompresets.com/store..._From_My_'Clean_To_Mean'_Pack_#2_-_'AX8'.html

... but I think I'd rather first try how it sounds with a "Streets have no name" Delay sound and played similar like the intro of that song i.e. the picked part - starting somewhere here:

... and use FracTool to convert to AX8 ;-)

... but I think I'd rather first try how it sounds with a "Streets have no name" Delay sound and played similar like the intro of that song i.e. the picked part - starting somewhere here:

... and use FracTool to convert to AX8 ;-)
Thanks! I will try these =) Also, never used the FracTool, so hope it's not a steep learning curve
as the gig is tomorrow :O

Back
Top Bottom