Need help: I have an atomic CLR thinking about adding a Friedman?

echo44

Inspired
So I use a CLR for my axfx2 which has been sold for an axe fx 3 which I am currently using in my bedroom to practice and record. I have an Atomic CLR which has been ok I have gone through them all qsc, NCF etc, I don't even remember all their names :(

I like so far the CLR the best although in a band situation when playing loud I find them a little harsh?
So I mostly use my tube amps when playing in a band and my CLR/Fractal for recording and practicing.
I was thinking of adding another speaker to run in stereo and was going to get another CLR

Was wondering if you guys have an opinion on the Friedman vs CLR? Maybe the friedman would sound better in a band setting? What do you think about running them together in stereo? ie one friedman and one CLR or should I just buy another CLR? I have the older model now.

PS The reason I ask all this as I am renewed after buying the axe fx 3 it really sounds better to my ears.
My main band Rig is currently 3 amps a 1970's HIwatt, a 1965 Deluxe reverb and an 18 watt marshall through a half stack. It would really be nice to just use the AXE

I would think if running in stereo you might want to have a matched pair. Have you tried dropping your hi cut in the cab block? Try going down as low as 5-6k at a band practice and see if that reduces the harshness. If it does you should try some IR's with less harshness so you can pull the hi cut back up around 9-10k and still have some detail without harshness. Anyway that's what I usually do.

To confuse things even more just learned about the Xitone Britt looks interesting wondering if anyone has experience comparing these?

They sound more similar than different. The Friedman was harder to move around, but having both at the same time I couldn’t tell them apart, save for the Friedman had a bit of an audible hiss which the clr didn’t, when sitting idle.

So I use a CLR for my axfx2 which has been sold for an axe fx 3 which I am currently using in my bedroom to practice and record. I have an Atomic CLR which has been ok I have gone through them all qsc, NCF etc, I don't even remember all their names :(

I like so far the CLR the best although in a band situation when playing loud I find them a little harsh?

Before buying a new monitor, try re-tweaking your presets. If it sounds good in the bedroom, but harsh at band volume, this is a classic symptom of the FM effect. It's just how we humans hear things at different volumes. Try dialing in your presets at stage volume. The CLR is very capable of giving what you want, but like any other monitor, you should create your presets at the volume at which you expect to perform.

I want to buy a 2nd monitor anyway to enjoy stereo
The nice thing about having gone through many options in the past
the monitors such as qsc and NCF just get reused as stage monitors

Check out the Friedman ASC-12. It is the same setup as the Friedman ASM-12 wedge but in a cabinet style. Lots of low end and very loud. Sounds very good in the mix with a band. The right IR makes this cab roar.

My experience is that the CLR sounds much better in a band context than the ASM. Clearer, more cutting and wider dispersion. I also wouldn't say that the ASM is very loud. It's loud enough but the CLR is definitely louder than the ASM.

I have 2 CLR’s, 2 Friedman ASC-12’s, 2 XiTones and a ASM-12. I keep the ASM-12 at practice cause it’s just to weird to carry around and gig with. It sounds great though. It has a very Cab like quality to it IMO but they are not exactly what I would consider “flat”

I keep my CLR’s at home to create my presets on and practice at home with. They are so good for creating presets and having them translate well to PA systems. At least with my experience with them over the last 2 years of using them for that.

I’ve been gigging the XiTone Wallimen’s for a few years now and have been extremely happy with them. They have a great cab like quality to them as well. Not as much thump and punch as the Friedman but they
sound really good. They are not exactly “flat” either though. I run them in stereo in our backline on their side pointing out like 1x12 cabs. One behind me and the other behind my bass player by his bass rig.

I just purchased 2 of the Friedman ASC-12’s from Sweetwater to start gigging with as well. Just got them last Friday. They sound just like the ASM-12 except in a cab format which is exactly what I wanted. I’m going to use them for the first time at a big show we have this Thursday night so I’ll let you know how they did after that. They look fantastic though. I put removable casters on them yesterday.

97244A67-B909-4E05-A187-63FDAD5A990A.jpeg

I would probably recommend getting another CLR though so you have a matching set. Live I run Out 1 L&R XLR’s the PA and send Out 2 L&R 1/4” to my backline FRFR’s and use Global EQ Out 2 to tailor the stage sound to my liking which varies from venue to venue depending on the stage. Usually just minor tweaks. But you could use the Global EQ to help with the harshness you mentioned.

Last edited:
...just order a Friedman ASC-12 from Sweetwater , myself. They were all sold out ( ahem :rolleyes: lol )
But , they are supposed to be getting more in , this Thursday. I was tempted to get a pair , but I figured I'd check it out first. ( Plus the wife would rather see me get one big box delivered - not two .) :)

Let us know how the gig goes with your 2 new ones Thursday !
@bishop5150

...just order a Friedman ASC-12 from Sweetwater , myself. They were all sold out ( ahem :rolleyes: lol )
But , they are supposed to be getting more in , this Thursday. I was tempted to get a pair , but I figured I'd check it out first. ( Plus the wife would rather see me get one big box delivered - not two .) :)

Let us know how the gig goes with your 2 new ones Thursday !
@bishop5150
Will do. And good call on the wife. The boxes were huge. My wife just rolled her eyes at me when she saw them. LOL!

I have 2 CLR’s, 2 Friedman ASC-12’s, 2 XiTones and a ASM-12. I keep the ASM-12 at practice cause it’s just to weird to carry around and gig with. It sounds great though. It has a very Cab like quality to it IMO but they are not exactly what I would consider “flat”

I keep my CLR’s at home to create my presets on and practice at home with. They are so good for creating presets and having them translate well to PA systems. At least with my experience with them over the last 2 years of using them for that.

I’ve been gigging the XiTone Wallimen’s for a few years now and have been extremely happy with them. They have a great cab like quality to them as well. Not as much thump and punch as the Friedman but they
sound really good. They are not exactly “flat” either though. I run them in stereo in our backline on their side pointing out like 1x12 cabs. One behind me and the other behind my bass player by his bass rig.

I just purchased 2 of the Friedman ASC-12’s from Sweetwater to start gigging with as well. Just got them last Friday. They sound just like the ASM-12 except in a cab format which is exactly what I wanted. I’m going to use them for the first time at a big show we have this Thursday night so I’ll let you know how they did after that. They look fantastic though. I put removable casters on them yesterday.

I would probably recommend getting another CLR though so you have a matching set. Live I run Out 1 L&R XLR’s the PA and send Out 2 L&R 1/4” to my backline FRFR’s and use Global EQ Out 2 to tailor the stage sound to my liking which varies from venue to venue depending on the stage. Usually just minor tweaks. But you could use the Global EQ to help with the harshness you mentioned.

Thanks for all the good info @bishop5150, I'm really interested in your findings after you've used the ASCs a bit more. I'm curious, do the Friedmans handle all types of amps/tones pretty well? So good cleans, good "on the edge of breakup cleans", good fat driven tones etc? Or do you think they are more suited to one type of sound only?

Thanks for all the good info @bishop5150, I'm really interested in your findings after you've used the ASCs a bit more. I'm curious, do the Friedmans handle all types of amps/tones pretty well? So good cleans, good "on the edge of breakup cleans", good fat driven tones etc? Or do you think they are more suited to one type of sound only?
They do everything very well. It just has more of that amp in the room feel to them. Very cab like low end and punch.

They do everything very well. It just has more of that amp in the room feel to them. Very cab like low end and punch.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was wanting to hear! The supplier here doesn't stock them unless he has an order so I can't try before I buy.

so the friedman would not be "pa-proof" from venue to venue when programming preset tones? just the atomic?

Most PA speakers are not Friedman or CLR-proof either :)

I would say that it depends if you have a sound engineer running the PA, and how picky you are with the sounds coming out of your monitors vs the PA. Another way of looking at it is that with a mic'd guitar amp on stage doesn't sounds like through the PA anyway. The Friedman will be closer to the PA than a raw guitar amp, and the CLR will be even closer, if you have a good PA. But if you have a sound engineer they should adjust yours and everyone else's individual sound to the room anyway.

Back
Top Bottom