Need Help Getting Tones From Axe To DAW Monitors

CudBucket

Inspired
Guys, simple dilemma: I love the way say, my Mark IV patch sounds through my SS amp and 1x12 Port City cabs. PA sims on, cab sims off. Same patch through my 2496 Audiophile into Sonar and out my M-Audio BX5a monitors, and it sounds really bad. I do have the cab sims on and I add a cab to my signal for direct but it just doesn't sound good.

Is it my interface? Monitors? I mean it's not even close. I hear so many great recordings of the Axe so I know it's in there. Basically, the recorded tone is the same as what I hear out the monitors.

Are there basic tips for changing a patch or setting it up for direct usage? I'm lost. I read the manual all the time. I can't see anything obvious. Any help would be appreciated. I know it's user error. I just want to identify the error.

Thanks.

Dave

Let me add a stupid question: I'm using garden variety Hosa cables from the Axe to 2496. I either go through Output 1 of the Axe or Output 2 (and add an FXL block). Could it be something as simple as that?

The tone is harsh, thin and way over-gained. Even when I have the gain at say 4 or 5 for a Mark IV preset.

Made a bit of progress. Looking at Mark Day's patches I see that he drops the level on the cab block a bunch. So I tried that and of course my Output clipping stopped. Using -19db as per Mark seems to be a good starting point.

I also dialed out alot of the fizz again, in the cab block by bumping the Drive up to 8 or 9. Don't know what it does but it sounds better. Need to hit the manual for that explanation.

Thirdly, I noticed that somehow, probably one of my kids is responsible, the Output 2 knob was knocked way down. Bumped that back to 1:00 or clock or so and my level in the DAW is better so of course the tone is fatter.

Back
Top Bottom