Bug? Need HELP/Advice - ULTRA Died This Morning and It Has Not Risen (Bad Easter Joke)

Went to turn on my Ultra this morning and head a cracking and popping noise through monitors, noticed the LED indicators were all lighted and presets were garbled with odd characters. There is no guitar input, I can not hit any of the buttons to access the different screens but can dial up different presets via the dial. Have cycled power several times with no luck. I was able to enter the Utility menu by holding down the Utility button while powering up the unit. After figuring this out, I reset the unit and tried reloading the factory presets in an effort to get back to original condition. There does appear to be some level of midi communication as the axe edit software recognizes the unit. However, only a portion of the presets come over and what does come are garbled with odd characters and still no audio throughput. Next, I attempted to reload Firmware version 11......status screen on the axe edit programs shows the firmware being loaded but at the end says it doesn't recognize the firmware version which may be due to it being the same version (Not Sure). Have not tried going back to an earlier firmware version as of yet but afraid doing to much and maybe doing further damage.

In summary....I power up unit, all level indicators light, can't access any menus via front panel buttons, preset names jumbled with odd characters, no audio input, cracking and popping noise if I raise output level control.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

BTW.....I'm thankful my Lord and Savior has risen!

Hallelujah, brother.

I'm afraid it might not be easy to revive the Ultra.
Short of opening her up and checking all the connections and maybe replacing the CMOS battery, it's probably a job for Fractal Support. Be careful with the screws. I've read they are pretty tight and thus strip easily. CMOS battery should last way longer than the Ultra model line has been in existence, but who knows. It's happened before.

Thanks Dutch......have read of some other similar issues where Fractal sends a new EPROM chip with instructions on how to flash. Will contact them tomorrow...it's an insignificant issue on Easter but thought there may be a quick fix out there! Regards!

My Ultra pre-died yesterday

Hi Tbrooks 1060,

Yesterday my Ultra had the same issue as yours, I called G66 they send me a new eprom and a new battery.
Did you fix your problem and how ?
Thanks for your advice.

Cheers.

Fred.

What dutch said pretty much. Check for slack cables and connectors. Also disconnect any peripherals as well. If nothing still, contact support.

Hello all of you,

I will check any connection inside the Ultra as soon as I receive the new battery and Eprom.
My Ultra is playable, but it seems to me that I can't store my backup presets where I want: the same preset can be stored at bank A place 15 but don't want to be stored at bank A place 12...?!!
Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Fred.

I ended up sending mine back to Fractal....the fix was only $44 dollars including parts and labor so sounds like there wasn't much to it. I will follow back up once it arrives back to me tomorrow and let everyone know what the issue was. Best of luck on yours. I could not even play mine so you may have a slightly different issue. Thanks.

Hi everybody,

After removing the old battery and replace it with a fresh one , my Ultra works again.
I recalled my backups and that seems to work fine again.
I would be interested to know the reason why your Ultra died.

Cheers.

Fred.

Hey Fred,

Got mine back yesterday but there was no information on what the fix was! Going to email them today and see if they will let me know the details! I have a feeling it was just a battery which I should have just tried myself. Will follow back up when I know more!

Hi TBrooks 1060,

It's a good thing that you could play your Ultra again.
For me it was only the battery the culprit.
Next time try to replace it yourself and sleep quiet without nightmare...
Tell me when you know if the battery was the only culprit for you.

Cheers.

Fred.

Back
Top Bottom