Need for a FC with AF3

Old_Soul

Inspired
So I only play at home and I would still consider myself still a beginner at guitar. My question is, at least initially, is a foot controller required? I don't mind picking up the FC later down the road. Can Axe-Edit software serve as a make shift foot controller in the interim? Yes, I do understand that I won't be able to switch quickly and likely without having to stop playing, just trying to understand.

Ultimately I am trying to understand the cost(benefit for myself between the AF3 and the FM9.

I had an AF3 for over a year before I got an FC. TBH, if I was just using it at home, I don't need the FC. It is easier then stop playing and switching like you said.
I would go the AF3 route.
In other words: If I was just an at home player...I would get the AF3. You can always add a FC down the road but adding more horsepower going from an FM9 to an AF3 would cost a lot more.

The AxeFx III is twice as powerful as the FM9. If you're not going to gig with it I'd get the AxeFx III. Lot more horsepower. As far as foot controllers are concerned, if you're talking about the FM9 no you don't need a foot controller unless you want to set up the foot controller for a different layout than the FM9, say for instance that you have presets on the FC and all your effects on the FM9. If you get an AxeFx III unless you want to control it with your feet then you can do almost anything you want with Axe-Edit Software. You can also do this on the FM9 as well. When I bought my AxeFx III last year I got the bundle so I bought the FC too. I have it hooked up but rarely use it as I don't gig anymore. I wouldn't sell it but I really don't need it. Sometimes it is fun to control everything with your feet though. I like programing the buttons but I'm a nerd.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen, that was what I wanted to know. My number will be coming up soon for the 9, but I have been lusting after the AF3 (I don't think that's a sin). LOL
When I got my AF3 it was between an FM3 and the AF3....It kept nagging at me ...what if I would want those extra features and power??? Glad I went with the AF3. I made the right decision.

Thank you gentlemen, that was what I wanted to know. My number will be coming up soon for the 9, but I have been lusting after the AF3 (I don't think that's a sin).

Your heart is telling you to get the AxeFx III. Listen to it. The FM9 is great but in the back of your mind you'll always be lusting after the III, wondering what it would be like to have twice the power. Go for it, you'll be glad you did especially if you're not going to be taking it around.

Ive had my AXFXIII nearly 2 years now. it is used soley for recording and writing. I have only just ordered a FC12 for it. What you will find way more usefull are the expresion pedals. The choice between the FM9 and AXFX is pretty much about what you wnat to do with it. if you want to do everything - fancy effects, multiple delays and endless synth stuff - AXFX, you want to gig with regular rig set ups FM9 IMO

Thank you gentlemen, that was what I wanted to know. My number will be coming up soon for the 9, but I have been lusting after the AF3 (I don't think that's a sin). LOL
I’m on the opposite end of your scenario. I have an Axe Fx IIIT and am waiting on my invite for the FM9T.

Any midi controller can switch the Axe Fx, so if you’ve got an old one around (I used an old $50 Digital Audio midi board at one time) you can use it while you wait until the time is right for an FC.

I don’t plan on selling the Axe Fx when I get the FM9. There are some things that only the III will do, and it’s much more powerful. But the FM9 gives me an all-in-one setup that would be a great fit for my playing situations now. So, for the time being, it’ll be Axe Fx & RJM at home, and FM9T elsewhere. I’ll see how I like it, but something tells me that I’ll like it a lot.

There is no more capable unit in existence than the III-T, and it’s awesome for use anywhere from a bedroom to an arena. In many ways, the FM series is too. You really can’t miss with FAS.

EDIT: Congrats on your order!!!

I’m on the opposite end of your scenario. I have an Axe Fx IIIT and am waiting on my invite for the FM9T.

Any midi controller can switch the Axe Fx, so if you’ve got an old one around (I used an old $50 Digital Audio midi board at one time) you can use it while you wait until the time is right for an FC.

I don’t plan on selling the Axe Fx when I get the FM9. There are some things that only the III will do, and it’s much more powerful. But the FM9 gives me an all-in-one setup that would be a great fit for my playing situations now. So, for the time being, it’ll be Axe Fx & RJM at home, and FM9T elsewhere. I’ll see how I like it, but something tells me that I’ll like it a lot.

There is no more capable unit in existence than the III-T, and it’s awesome for use anywhere from a bedroom to an arena. In many ways, the FM series is too. You really can’t miss with FAS.

EDIT: Congrats on your order!!!
Thank you very much!! I am so excited!!

I don't gig out at all. I'm more of what you might call a Domestic Rockstar! I do happen to have a Boss ES-8 that I could connect via midi and try to control some things from in the interim. Thanks for suggestion.

Thank you gentlemen. Just placed my order for the AF3. Really looking forward to it showing up!! Thank you again for the final confirmation on the need for the controller!
Congratulations, you made the right choice. There's tons of videos on how to use it and you can always get Cooper Carter's Masterclass series too. I got it after a year of having my AxeFx III and there's a ton of information there. Also there's a lot of people on here that will be willing to help you out if you get in a jam.

Congratulations, you made the right choice. There's tons of videos on how to use it and you can always get Cooper Carter's Masterclass series too. I got it after a year of having my AxeFx III and there's a ton of information there. Also there's a lot of people on here that will be willing to help you out if you get in a jam.
Thank you! Completely agree on the CC class. I am working on getting a couple monitors to go with the unit now. May also end up with another pair of HD650's to go with it; had them in the past and they were great!

Really looking forward to not just being a "lurker", although I will apologize now if I ask done really 'dumb' questions. :)

Thank you! Completely agree on the CC class. I am working on getting a couple monitors to go with the unit now. May also end up with another pair of HD650's to go with it; had them in the past and they were great!

Really looking forward to not just being a "lurker", although I will apologize now if I ask done really 'dumb' questions. :)
There's no dumb questions. I use the HD650's. I run my AxeFx III into a pair of Quilter Steelaire combos. That way when people say "Does it feel like a real amp?" I say it's two real amps.

I went: AxeFX III -> FM3 -> FM9 -> AxeFX III+FC12 (sold my FM3 to fund the FC12, still have the FM9).

I'm a bedroom player as well, but having the FC12 is incredibly convenient. It's great to be able to just switch stuff out on the fly rather than using my hands on the front panel of the FX.

I suppose that you could use the other footswitch
I use 2 FS-6 pedals with my AxeFx3 and FC6. One of the footswitches on the FS-6 is for the tuner and by press/hold activates tap tempo.
The other footswitch is for scrolling scenes. One press for increment and press/hold for decrement. I suppose that you could use a footswitch to change patches in the same manner that I've used it for scenes. On the FC editor you can set the patches to scroll for 128 patches or whatever number you would like. I'm guessing that you'll be able to do the same with the 2 jacks that are on the AxeFx.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom