Need advice on 7 String guitar.

Cem

Experienced
Hello,

I'm normally not-that-kind-of-guy, but I just want to play and practice 7 stringed Dream Theater songs and riffs, like chips. They are building great stamina, and I LOVE playing petrucci for fun.

I'm going to put Petrucci Signature pickups in it.

Need something, not expensive. Well built, not to leave on the road while playing or practicing.

Good playability.

Everything points out an Ibanez I guess. But which model?

I need something under 700$ish I guess don't know ( used or new don't know really.)

What are some good options?

Check Out the Premium models From Ibanez. Affordable, really good hardware and craftmanship...I have a 1996 Prestige RG7621 and it has no Chance against my RG 927 QMFB Premium, Even with their stock Dimarzios, the RG927 blows my other RG away...just invest a few Bucks at a professional Guitar builder for proper Setup, which can and will be Pain in the ass, when it comes to 7string Guitar necks...

Check Out the Premium models From Ibanez. Affordable, really good hardware and craftmanship...I have a 1996 Prestige RG7621 and it has no Chance against my RG 927 QMFB Premium, Even with their stock Dimarzios, the RG927 blows my other RG away...just invest a few Bucks at a professional Guitar builder for proper Setup, which can and will be Pain in the ass, when it comes to 7string Guitar necks...

It's 1200$ already tho...

Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but I love my ESP ZH-7 (except I'm thinking of swapping out the active pups for passives). Great specs at the price point.

I'm a HUGE fan of Schecter. I have 3 Hellraisers (2 C7FR's and 1 C1FR) and swear by them.

I've never played an Agile, but based on other reviews and their price point, Ben's suggestion is pretty solid too.

I had an ESP LTD M-307 and it was one of the crappiest built guitars I've ever played. The fine tuners and the saddle string locking bolts stripped out the first time I changed strings. I had to frankenstein some higher quality screws just to get the thing to play again. Ruined me for LTD's, and the ESP line is just ridiculously expensive.

The Schecters I have (around a $1k price tag each, new) are the finest guitars I've ever played personally.

Good luck with your decision.

If you can skip a trem I would strongly recommend the PRS SE 7 in that price range. With a a good setup it plays amazing. The combination of the 25" scale length and neck profile makes it one of the most playable 7s out there IMHO. It also responds very well to pickup swaps. The stock ones are actually pretty nice, but I've swapped out a few times and ended up with a Pegasus/Sentient combo which fits this guitar extremely well. Good luck!

Start cheap and get an RG-7321 MH. It's a decent guitar and you won't have to break the bank, especially since you're going to change the pups.

Reactions: Cem
The new Schecters are amazing, but I'm not sure how the sub-$700 ones are. If you like what you see of the older ones then those could be an option too. Some people don't like the thicker necks, and the aesthetics on some of them were questionable.

I'm not really fan of schecters.

I've been advised to check out Sterling jp-70 models. Any users?

Grab a second hand In good condition RG1527 and put some Dimarzios on it and you are good to go. I've one with CL LF and it's a great combination for a good price.

Carvin DC 700 . I just got one Flamed Koa top swamp ash body , plays and sounds very nice.
Carvin lately has been making some very fine 7 and 8 stringers .

I had a RG7321 as Reserve Guitar. Sold it, when I got my RG927QM, but it's "Bang for the Buck" for the money. Very percussive, very strong pickups (Ibanez's own product) but they did a great Job. The Bass range of the RG7321 is very easy to Control, it hasn't Tons of Sustain and Charakter.....but hey...you get more than you Pay for....

used Ibanez 7620.
I've had many, a very playable 7 string.
another to check out (if you can find one) is the ESP Ltd m-207. that was my very first 7 string , with a pickup upgrade you get a pretty killer 7 for dirt cheap.
here's one on the bay right now
ESP M207 Electric 7 String Guitar | eBay
I got mine for $250.00 with case :)

That's what I was going to say
A used Prestige, a used MIJ Ibanez - Basically a RG7620 with Crunchlab/Liquifire

I had one- but someone offered to trade me a Triple Rectifier for it- so I couldn't say no.

I currently have a ibanez RG7cst VV

But there are many great Ibanez 7 strings. the 7321 doesn't have a trem which has its pros and cons (had the crunchlab/liq in one of those before i got the 7620)

Some of the S 7 strings are super cool- very hard to find though.

You'd be surprised how many japan ibanez 7 strings you can find in the 200-250 range.

Back
Top Bottom