Need a simple sample player.

Rich G.

Experienced
im looking for something that will play a sample when I step on a switch. Any suggestions? Can be a stand alone unit or something that runs on Windows 10.

I've looked into some samplers like the SPD-SX or the SPD-ONE series, but even those seem like overkill.

We cover a lot of Country songs in one off my bands. Seems 75% of new Counttry songs have hand claps or finger snaps. I just want to step on a switch and hear a finger snap. I don't need varying levels of intensity.

If a phone app will work, Quantiloop for iOS. Set the tracks to one shot.

I just discovered this app and will hopefully make a short video soon. It does everything I could ever want a looper to do. I feel like no one knows about it!

Full midi support, you’d just need some sort of midi interface to have it listen to physical switches.

Full midi support, you’d just need some sort of midi interface to have it listen to physical switches.

Hmmm... so, could I use an MD-BT01 hooked to a midi controller to control the sampler?

(Side note: I'm currently using an MD-BT01 connected to a A DMC Ground Control (original, not Pro) that connects to a BLE adapter on a laptop running DMXIS on Win 10 through MidiBerry.)

Hmmm... so, could I use an MD-BT01 hooked to a midi controller to control the sampler?

(Side note: I'm currently using an MD-BT01 connected to a A DMC Ground Control (original, not Pro) that connects to a BLE adapter on a laptop running DMXIS on Win 10 through MidiBerry.)
Pretty sure yes. There may be some other “sample player” apps that are better for samples specifically, but the interface and feature set of this as a looper program is amazing. I think you could even make a 2 clap loop (2 & 4) and change the tempo to match on the fly... but I just got the app last night and worked with it just a bit. It’s very exciting what it can do!

Gotta love when a $10 app can replace an $800 piece of hardware.

I'll poke around and look at different apps.

If the finger snaps or claps are played during long sections, seems like your drummer would be hitting a trigger for that vs. trying to foot tap it and play guitar too?

If the finger snaps or claps are played during long sections, seems like your drummer would be hitting a trigger for that vs. trying to foot tap it and play guitar too?

Been trying to get the drummer to bite on this for a couple years. He went as far as getting a SPD-SX. I loaded all the samples we needed into it. I wasn't able to get him to take it out of the practice room... or even hit it during practice.

I currently play guitar, run my pedal board, run FOH sound & monitors, run lights on another pedal board, and sing backup vocals. I'm hoping if he sees me doing drum samples he'll offer to help out. lol.

Right now I'm looking at the Beatmaker 3 app.

Depending on what you gear you have - I use a Kontakt and load my own samples (on a Win 10 tablet).
I use my MC6 to trigger the samples.
USB out of my tablet straight into the Axe.

I like the looks of that MPX16.

I think I have the drummer interested as well! Looking at Beatmaker 3 controlled by a BopPad now.

I used the MPX16 for a few shows and then abandoned it. It had trigger problems, sometimes you had to hit one of the pads so hard that a different pad would trigger. Also, a device should not have PRO in the name if it doesn't have XLR, imho.

We switched to the bass player's little Boss pedal, probably a loop station. That worked fine. I don't know the exact model.

I also tried for a while to find an Android player that would play a sample and then stop. Hard to believe but impossible to find one.

I use a midi controller (MFC-101 with custom midi string) with the mpx16 with a note-on command to trigger the samples, so I don't have a problem with the pads, but playing around with them, they work fine, but I haven't tried them with extensive use...

Been trying to get the drummer to bite on this for a couple years. He went as far as getting a SPD-SX. I loaded all the samples we needed into it. I wasn't able to get him to take it out of the practice room... or even hit it during practice.

I currently play guitar, run my pedal board, run FOH sound & monitors, run lights on another pedal board, and sing backup vocals. I'm hoping if he sees me doing drum samples he'll offer to help out. lol.

Right now I'm looking at the Beatmaker 3 app.

You are just not contributing enough....Jeeezzz...Kidding of course, The drummer needs to step up imho

Back
Top Bottom