Need a patch that cuts through the mix

Happidural

Hi guys,
I’m having trouble with finding a patch that sounds great and cuts through when going through the house mains.
I’m currently using the USA clean and lead channels with the mids juiced and it’s still not cutting the mustard.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Do you use a boost in front like the TS808 mod ?
You can add an EQ block after the cab for more solo boost.
Which IR do you use ?

I recently saw a video that helps about getting through the mix for solos :

Thanks for that! I just use the IR that was programmed in by the good folks at Fractal. Will play around with it. Any Cabs that cut through better than others?
Do you use a boost in front like the TS808 mod ?
You can add an EQ block after the cab for more solo boost.
Which IR do you use ?

I recently saw a video that helps about getting through the mix for solos :

Can you share your preset(s)? Do the house mains/PA belong to you or are you referring to any house mains/PA you play through?

My $0.02...

I've always found that less (fx & distortion) is more live, especially if there are other guitars & keys playing. To my ears, most of the stock patches were crafted 1) to show what the Axe/Fx could do and 2) to grab the player's ear when demo'ing solo. They sound great when noodling alone but may not be well-suited for your live situation. It's the same procedure for analog or digital signal chains: start out with a less processed, cleaner tone and in a rehearsal when you can hear what it sounds like at near gig volume, add more of both until you get it where you want. You'll be able to hear the point of diminishing returns much more easily with the whole band playing. If you have a wireless system or a long cable, get away from your amp/monitor to hear "the band sound". The great thing about using the Axe/Fx through an FRFR system, at least for me, is that once you've found the right tone, it doesn't need more tailoring for different venues and/or band volume levels. With a tube amp, turning the amp volume up or down often affects the tone greatly. Not so using the Axe/FX & FRFR, at least that's been my experience.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My first guess is that the problem is not you, it’s the other instruments not leaving you space in the spectrum. You could find a frequency range where you can boost your signal. You could choose a frequency range and boost your signal. Either way you’re heading for volume wars.

I have the opposite problem, I need to make space for bass, keys and sax. To do this I cut below 250 Hz. It makes the guitar sound thin in isolation, but leaves space for the bass and the warm end of the keys. For the sax, and for keyboard solos, I back off my volume.

First step is a conversation with the rest of the band. Talk about backing off for each other’s solos. Negotiate with the other guitarist(s) who’s cutting their treble and who’s cutting their bass so that all the guitars have space. Maybe change guitars. With my current band, and a male singer who plays a Les Paul, I use a Telecaster. We also have to keep reminding him that the EQ which sounds nice at home sounds muddy on stage.

My first guess is that the problem is not you, it’s the other instruments not leaving you space in the spectrum. You could find a frequency range where you can boost your signal. You could choose a frequency range and boost your signal. Either way you’re heading for volume wars.

I have the opposite problem, I need to make space for bass, keys and sax. To do this I cut below 250 Hz. It makes the guitar sound thin in isolation, but leaves space for the bass and the warm end of the keys. For the sax, and for keyboard solos, I back off my volume.

First step is a conversation with the rest of the band. Talk about backing off for each other’s solos. Negotiate with the other guitarist(s) who’s cutting their treble and who’s cutting their bass so that all the guitars have space. Maybe change guitars. With my current band, and a male singer who plays a Les Paul, I use a Telecaster. We also have to keep reminding him that the EQ which sounds nice at home sounds muddy on stage.
Thanks for the sound advice (NPI). Perhaps I’ll try fiddling with the EQ rather than the amp model of the cab. I think I grossly underestimated how much a difference the CAB makes.

if you aren't cutting through at FOH, then the FOH engineer isn't doing his job
No FOH engineer- we’re small time. Drag our PA to the show- get paid in beer. Play out only a few times a year- just enough to keep the audience, consisting of friends and co-workers, wanting more- 😆.

Back
Top Bottom