Need a monitor upgrade from KRK Rokit 6s

mlancaster1

I need some opinions on here trying to decide between upgrading to Genelec 8330A, Focal, or ADAM audio A7V but trying to not exceed 2,000 dollar budget. I've had my KRK monitors for almost a decade and kind of disappointed with these in that when I mix anything or create presets, they do not translate very well.

Mixes or presets not translating well likely has more to do with your room than the particular speakers you're using. New speakers or room correction software can’t fix peaks and nulls from room modes, flutter echo, long decay times, etc. Do you have any acoustic treatment, especially for low end?

Last edited:
I've listen to quite a few before upgrading Yamaha hs5. Eventually I decided to go for focal solo 6be. They're quite expensive. I paid 2k for a pair. This was almost 10 years ago. I have no need to look at anything else.
Try before buying

I have little acoustic treatment at the moment just because I'm working on transitioning to a new space. Thats definitely going to be the next investment. But still looking for something thats worth an upgrade from the Rokit series within a 2k budget.

I have little acoustic treatment at the moment just because I'm working on transitioning to a new space. Thats definitely going to be the next investment. But still looking for something thats worth an upgrade from the Rokit series within a 2k budget.
In that case there's plenty of options. I went with Hedd type 07 mkii because of the DSP processing, AES inputs, desk filter, open/ported modes, etc. The same guy who designed the Adam A7X started this company. But honestly any product in that price range will have excellent sound quality, so it's worth considering other factors like authorized repair facilities near you, warranty, etc.

Also do some research on proper monitor placement relative to your ears, the walls, SBIR, etc. This 4 page article is a good place to start.

Last edited:
no you don't need new monitors but if you are looking to buy new monitors that's fine. monitors never translate well and no two sets sound the same.. You can mix with any monitor and then go in your car, play on headphones, play on your phone, your home av system, your tv, your ipad...and they will sound different. It's just the way it is. Every sound system sounds different. monitors are for monitoring for any frequencies that are poking out. accurate monitors are one thing but most systems are tuned for a slight smile curve so they will likely bury some bad frequencies any way. you could mix on a tonka toy speaker and still get the job done. the proof will always be when you go to test on other systems. I would save your money and buy another guitar :)

Here's a previous thread that details how monitors can be vastly different from each other. The curves between Yamaha and Adams are very different.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...fferent-monitor-dilemma-final-verdict.180747/

Getting monitors to translate to speakers isn't the true purpose of monitors.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Focal Shape Twins and they are the best monitors I have ever had. I also really do appreciate the Adam A7X, but to my ears the Focals present a smoother soundstage in the studio. They require about 30 hours of break-in to really open up their tone, which I did by just having them play for a weekend, with a playlist of multiple CDs with a 15 minute rest period between each. By the time I got back to the studio, they were already sounding very good, and by the end of the first full week, they were fabulous.

I have a pair of Focal Shape Twins and they are the best monitors I have ever had. I also really do appreciate the Adam A7X, but to my ears the Focals present a smoother soundstage in the studio. They require about 30 hours of break-in to really open up their tone, which I did by just having them play for a weekend, with a playlist of multiple CDs with a 15 minute rest period between each. By the time I got back to the studio, they were already sounding very good, and by the end of the first full week, they were fabulous.
I literally looped Prodigy “Fat Of The Land” for 24 hours with my Focals :)

EVeryone saying its not the monitors must not have used lower end monitors before. I went from M-Audio B8s to Adam F7s and man was it an upgrade. Luckily I have some computer speakers with a sub so I was able to adjust my mixes with those to see where I was missing stuff. If you can, listen to a few of them in person before buying. Your budget is pretty good so you will end up with some good monitors. Monitors are really hard to suggest as there are so many that can be good. I would try to go off some of the advice in this thread and go from there. I like my Adams. Have heard good thinks about Focal (kinda) and others.

A little friendly advice some will disagree with and others are tired of hearing me say I’m sure……if you are in an untreated room as I suspect and you want to hear the TRUTH, get the Slate VSX headphones. You’ll never get really accurate translation when crafting tones in a room that is lying to you. Point blank. That is all before the ability to select several different listening environments in the software to assure your patches translate across a wide variety of room types. If you will not treat the room properly, you must remove it from your decision making.

A little friendly advice some will disagree with and others are tired of hearing me say I’m sure……if you are in an untreated room as I suspect and you want to hear the TRUTH, get the Slate VSX headphones. You’ll never get really accurate translation when crafting tones in a room that is lying to you. Point blank. That is all before the ability to select several different listening environments in the software to assure your patches translate across a wide variety of room types. If you will not treat the room properly, you must remove it from your decision making.
I am on day two with these - getting my ears adjusted - and man, just perfect for a spare bedroom studio. I have been mixing using my Alto TS212 PA speakers for years! Nice to know my past work isn't awful...but really digging the flexibility of this VSX system.

IMHO, Genelecs or Neumanns are the best in that price range by a large margin, but I haven't heard everything. The only way to really decide is to demo them and figure out what works for you - ideally, good commercial music should sound good to you, and the speakers should make it "easy" to make your decisions when you're working.

Fixing/improving the room will improve the sound, usually more than speakers. I did both (and sonarworks) in the same ~6 month period, and they were all significant. The room upgrades were the biggest improvement, and I bought & returned several sets of speakers before I decided to keep a pair. The funny part of those experiments was that the hifi speakers in my living room (which I like there) sound like garbage in my room.

If I were buying today in that price range, I'd order and demo the 8330A, KH120 II DSP, and maybe the Lyd48 just to hear a few sets in my room (there are technical differences that could go either way, not just that they're 3-way). The good news is that those are all roughly the same size, so once you figure out where to put them, you can use the same stands for all 3.

Demoing them does involve working on them. I think it's ideal if you can spend some time getting used to each set and actually make something with each set while you're demoing them. Once you've done all of them, I think the proof is in the pudding...meaning that you should listen to the things you made on each one in a separate listening environment that you're really familiar with. If you usually listen to music in your car, play the recordings there to decide. Same if you usually listen on airpods or headphones or a living room hifi or whatever. Ideally also a couple other places just to get a sense of it (you can take your recordings to a hifi shop to listen to their setups if you live near one).

Picking new speakers is not, and should not, be a quick thing. Enjoy the process.

FWIW, I vehemently hate the whole idea of VSX. I can't figure out why you'd want to use headphones and emulate a room. That being said, working on headphones (or even more so IEMs) without a room simulation is a viable choice. And it's a lot cheaper. Thanks to the chi-fi stuff, you can get an "endgame" level monitoring setup for about a grand if you're okay working in IEMs. It still takes some experimentation to figure out which IEMs...and they usually take some individualized correction that you can do with stepped sine waves or sweeps...and I think it's easier to make decisions (and more enjoyable) if you listen through an HRTF crossfeed plugin. CanOpeneer is my favorite. Waves NX also works well, but not the ones that emulate specific studios/speakers....those are nothing but a gimmick. There are others that might work better, or possibly none of them will work for you - it's really based on how well their models fit your physical head and ears. But, it's worth a demo.

The cool thing about really getting to grips with an IEM setup is that you don't necessarily have to be as picky about your speakers (or, to a degree, your room). Use the speakers for inspiration/vibe and the IEMs to actually make detailed decisions. IMO, it makes a lot more sense to use them as a pair than to put up 2 sets of speakers (which will never both be accurate in the room, no matter how good they are).

Back
Top Bottom