Need a decent inexpensive feedback wedge

satchmo-x

Hey all,
My band is running full IEM, no stage volume (except the bass player that refuses to give up his 80 lb beast... sigh [emoji6] ). I was running a cheap Kustom wedge the band had laying around to get feedback, but it's gone flaky. Can't say I mind... it tended to squeal instead of giving a nice warm feedback.

So, I'm looking for a light, reasonably priced, fairly durable, wedge format, powered replacement. Not looking for anything like CLR, Atomic, etc. This will be band gear, not mine, and as such, it won't get handled gently. Plus, my IEM buds block enough sound I can't hear the monitor anyway [emoji4] I know it seems like I'm looking for a unicorn, but sound quality isn't on the list hehe

Any recommendations? Bonus if it has some EQ to tune the feedback a bit.

Thanks!
Tim

Here's one to get started...Check the cheapo powered wedges on the Seismic website. They are OK "bang for the buck" speakers.

Pro Audio Compact Coaxial Floor Monitors | Seismic Audio - Seismic Audio Speakers

Keep in mind that it is really easy to get high pitched undesirable squeal out of a full range monitor pointing up at your guitar. It is sort of phenomenon of using high gain amp model simulations with full range speakers, so in order to get what you want, you may need to pay close attention to how your wedge speaker is EQ'd.

I have just compared the seismic and the alto ts110a (both 10" speakers). The seismic showed up broken. The toroidial transformer had broken away from the cabinet it was glued to and ripped the tweeter wire loose. I talked to them, ...and repaired it. There are other build problems with this speaker. However, while not flat, it does sound pretty good. Just got the alto ts110a today and a quick check reveals that it is incredibly flat. Build quality looks good. I will test it with the band tomorrow. I would be very careful with seismic, refer to the existing thread and you will see build quality was an issue with others. Off hand, I would recommend alto. They are the same price.

Last edited:
I have just compared the seismic and the alto ts110a (both 10" speakers). The seismic showed up broken. The toroidial transformer had broken away from the cabinet it was glued to and ripped the tweeter wire loose. I talked to them, ...and repaired it. There are other build problems with this speaker. However, while not flat, it does sound pretty good. Just got the alto ts110a today and a quick check reveals that it is incredibly flat. Build quality looks good. I will test it with the band tomorrow. I would be very careful with seismic, refer to the existing thread and you will see build quality was an issue with others. Off hand, I would recommend alto. They are the same price.

Yes. this is worth mentioning. Seismic will always make good, but their items can show up in a mess. Whether it is poor packing, handling, or build quality, not sure.

Thanks! All great input, and better options than I'd hoped for. That alto looks really good despite the lack of EQ. Tons of good reviews, and Amazon has it for $199 shipped. I could run the second output and throw a GEQ in my presets if I had to.

Paranoid, thanks for the heads up. I'll grab Mark's preset to see if it achieves something close enough before I pull the trigger on a pruchasr. My instinct tells me it isn't possible to emulate the pickup to speaker loop, but I'll report back either way :)

Thanks

Hey all,
My band is running full IEM, no stage volume (except the bass player that refuses to give up his 80 lb beast... sigh [emoji6] ). I was running a cheap Kustom wedge the band had laying around to get feedback, but it's gone flaky. Can't say I mind... it tended to squeal instead of giving a nice warm feedback.

So, I'm looking for a light, reasonably priced, fairly durable, wedge format, powered replacement. Not looking for anything like CLR, Atomic, etc. This will be band gear, not mine, and as such, it won't get handled gently. Plus, my IEM buds block enough sound I can't hear the monitor anyway [emoji4] I know it seems like I'm looking for a unicorn, but sound quality isn't on the list hehe

Any recommendations? Bonus if it has some EQ to tune the feedback a bit.

Thanks!
Tim

Yamaha DXR10 used

Thanks again for the suggestions. Marks feedback patch sounds pretty good, but that's
more about trying to simulate the feedback fade-out from played notes, vs feedback buildup from just letting go of the strings.

Dunno why I didnt think of it sooner, but I tried one of my band's JBL EON615. Lots of EQ options with the bluetooth app. The feedback was very much like a real cab, and it sounded plenty good for practicing by myself, too. I'm ordering the EON610 tomorrow with my own money instead of band money. Only $350, and 26 lbs. Seems like a happy medium. :)

Back
Top Bottom