Need 90's song cover ideas........

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Has to be danceable and can't be some super odd side B that no one has ever heard. We are doing any style from then in the Rap, Rock, Pop mix of the times. Love some suggestions. Yes I did google it but love some possible ones that I forgot or that did not come up in search. Also ones that you play line that always get the job done. Thanks!

Maybe Londonbeat's "I've Been Thinking About You".

If your vocalist can pull that off then you should be able to do Fine Young Cannibals stuff (also going back to 1988, but I think most people associate with the 90s).

It would be helpful to have a little more info. Keys? Harmony Vocals? 2 guitars?

I'm sure your Google search yielded all the obvious ones. But these are songs I have covered in the past that you could do without keys and 2 good guitarists.

Greg's organ is so subtle in this song no one misses it if you don't have keys. It got plenty of airplay where I lived in the 90s. Since it is the Allman Bro's of course it is really fun to play for 2 guitarists.

This one always puts feet on the dance floor whether they know the song or not. Its just too damn funky to even sit still while listening on your couch! It is easily arranged without keys and horns but you need 2 good guitarists and a really solid rhythm section. Would help to have 2 good vocalists but can still be a crowd pleaser with one good vocalist. It is also really fun to play on guitar.

This last one is a challenge to arrange and perform with a quartet but if done right it always goes over great. Especially since the rhythm guitar line alone will funk everyone up. For the unison and acapella-ish vox it is helpful to have 3 singers or at least the right doubling effects on a single backing vox.

Eeeoo... what a horrible decade :) - Here's some suggestions, then I'll wash my mouth out and go back to the 70s :p

"I'll Be There For You" by The Rembrandts
"Barbie Girl" by Aqua
"Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden
"Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia
"MMMBOP" by Hanson
"All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow
"Kiss From a Rose" by Seal
"Believe" by Cher
Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
What Is Love – Haddaway
Under The Bridge – Red Hot Chili Peppers
1979 – Smashing Pumpkins

Almost forgot ... not really that danceable but one of a limited set of great songs for that decade. Plenty of others from Soundgarden too.

And

Almost forgot ... not really that danceable but one of a limited set of great songs for that decade. Plenty of others from Soundgarden too.

And

Has to be danceable and can't be some super odd side B that no one has ever heard. We are doing any style from then in the Rap, Rock, Pop mix of the times. Love some suggestions. Yes I did google it but love some possible ones that I forgot or that did not come up in search. Also ones that you play line that always get the job done. Thanks!
I was in a 90’s cover band for a while. Here’s the entire set-list:

Cumbersome (Seven Mary Three)
Shimmer (Fuel)
Good (Better Than Ezra)
Gel (Collective Soul)
Sex Type Thing (STP)
Alive (Pearl Jam)
Slide (Goo Goo Dolls)
If You Could Only See (Tonic)
Dani California (Chili Peppers)
Counting Blue Cars (Dishwalla)
Plush (STP)
Santa Monica (Everclear)
Hey Jealousy (Gin Blossoms)
Machinehead (Bush)
By The Way (Chili Peppers)
Far Behind (Candlebox)
Better Man (Pearl Jam)
Come As You Are (Nirvana)
Nearly Lost You (Screaming Trees)
Low (Cracker)
In Bloom (Nirvana)
My Own Worst Enemy (Lit)
Interstate Love Song (STP)
Are You Gonna Go My Way (Lenny Kravitz)
My Hero (Foo Fighters)
You (Candlebox)
Everlong (Foo Fighters) (Drop D)
Even Flow (Pearl Jam) (Drop D)
Crackerman (STP) (Drop D)
Open Up Your Eyes (Tonic) (Drop D)
The Middle (Jimmy Eat World) (Drop D)
Where The River Flows (Collective Soul) (Drop C)
Black (Pearl Jam)
Come Out And Play (The Offspring)
Like A Stone (Audioslave)
Hemorrhage (Fuel)
I Alone (Live)
Heavy (Collective Soul)
All Over You (Live)
Possum Kingdom (The Toadies)
No Excuses (Alice In Chains)
Shine (Collective Soul) (Drop D)
Hunger Strike (Temple Of The Dog) (Drop D)
Lakini's Juice (Live)
Touch Peel And Stand (Days Of The New) (Drop D)
Drift And Die (Puddle Of Mudd) (Drop D)

Unglued STP
Dizz Nee Land Dada
My Own Worst Enemy Lit
The Middle & Bleed American Jimmy Eat World
Are You Gonna Go My Way Lenny Kravitz

just a few off the top of my head...

I was in a 90’s cover band for a while. Here’s the entire set-list:

Cumbersome (Seven Mary Three)
Shimmer (Fuel)
Good (Better Than Ezra)
Gel (Collective Soul)
Sex Type Thing (STP)
Alive (Pearl Jam)
Slide (Goo Goo Dolls)
If You Could Only See (Tonic)
Dani California (Chili Peppers)
Counting Blue Cars (Dishwalla)
Plush (STP)
Santa Monica (Everclear)
Hey Jealousy (Gin Blossoms)
Machinehead (Bush)
By The Way (Chili Peppers)
Far Behind (Candlebox)
Better Man (Pearl Jam)
Come As You Are (Nirvana)
Nearly Lost You (Screaming Trees)
Low (Cracker)
In Bloom (Nirvana)
My Own Worst Enemy (Lit)
Interstate Love Song (STP)
Are You Gonna Go My Way (Lenny Kravitz)
My Hero (Foo Fighters)
You (Candlebox)
Everlong (Foo Fighters) (Drop D)
Even Flow (Pearl Jam) (Drop D)
Crackerman (STP) (Drop D)
Open Up Your Eyes (Tonic) (Drop D)
The Middle (Jimmy Eat World) (Drop D)
Where The River Flows (Collective Soul) (Drop C)
Black (Pearl Jam)
Come Out And Play (The Offspring)
Like A Stone (Audioslave)
Hemorrhage (Fuel)
I Alone (Live)
Heavy (Collective Soul)
All Over You (Live)
Possum Kingdom (The Toadies)
No Excuses (Alice In Chains)
Shine (Collective Soul) (Drop D)
Hunger Strike (Temple Of The Dog) (Drop D)
Lakini's Juice (Live)
Touch Peel And Stand (Days Of The New) (Drop D)
Drift And Die (Puddle Of Mudd) (Drop D)

Those are some great choices. In the end I agree with @pauly. The 90s was a tough decade to pick actual mass-appeal crowd pleasers from.

Thankfully, I was never in a decade specific cover band. Every cover band I have been in picked a good mix of mainstream danceable stuff sprinkled with the somewhat less mainstream stuff that would still resonate and get people moving.

I know the less mainstream stuff sprinkled in helped set us apart. We had lots of great feedback on exactly that. But no matter what being limited to the 90s would not be fun.

"Steam" and "Kiss That Frog" from Peter Gabriel are pretty danceable IMO ("Us" album, 1992). "Fly Away" by Lenny Kravitz I think would work as well. "Cream", "My Name Is Prince" and "Sexy MF" from Prince were all in the 90's.

This song, “And Fools Shine On” by Brother Cane, is an awesome 90’s song. It’s recorded 1/2 step down. I just love the whole song, and it’s wonderfully written by Damon Johnson and Marti Frederiksen. The Bridge starts with a ringing out chord (G#7/F) and it’s the best part of the song (the Bridge.) 😀🆒

Back
Top Bottom