Neck Bend Effect-Jake E Lee

Hey All, I’m trying to duplicate as close possible what Jake is doing at about 2:18 in this song. I’ve seen him live and he does this a number of times. Bark at the Moon is another example.

My initial thought would be to hook up my expression pedal with a pitch block but I wanted to check here first to see if that’s the best way.

Thanks Everyone!!

Roger

Yeah just use a pitch block ,

It’s easier than bending a neck and risk “damaging/wearing” around the neck joint area

Also more precise control of pitch and rate of pitch fluctuation

beats using a tremolo aswell with the benefits as I stated and more! (No wearing down trem posts , breaking strings , nut binding etc)

It’s easier than bending a neck and risk “damaging/wearing” around the neck joint area

beats using a tremolo aswell with the benefits as I stated and more! (No wearing down trem posts , breaking strings , nut binding etc)
I have a Jake E Lee Charvel (no trem) so I definitely don’t want to be bending the neck. I’m gonna give it a shot with a pitch block and expression pedal. TY!!

Bending the neck has to be done carefully. You can pop frets loose, you could loosen the neck joint, push/pull the neck alignment so it's not straight and the strings get too close to the edge or don't go over the pickup poles correctly, etc. How do I know? I've done those things.

If you like the guitar, a tremolo bar is a better solution.

Pitch block would only get close. The individual strings change pitch at different rates, so the chord would go out of tune when bending the neck just like with a vibrato bar (Steinberger TransTrem excepted)....

Why would you have a guitar with a trem and then not use the trem for the job it was created for?

I've been an active trem user for 35+ years and I've never broken a string while using one... I rarely break strings, but unless you've got a burr or sharp edge on a saddle/tuner/nut then you should not be breaking strings when using a trem. Especially for a subtle dip like a neck bend effect.

Could not agree more, I've done tons of gigs with PRS trems, Suhr, Tom Anderson, before that it was Floyd's, however I do not like stringing floyd rose guitars. The PRS trem is a work of art, people uh and ahh over the eye candy and the trems are hardly ever mentioned. I've never broke a string or had a single issue. The appeal to be like Jake is very cool, he did it when everyone else used locking Floyd's, so it was unique, but now? The nut bends are cool. Jimmy Page did that and others well before Jake, Vivian Campbell did a nut bend in a solo that was something I will never forget on the last in line tour. Unreal!

I can't quite hear the phrase on my phone, but that won't stop me from chiming in :)

For a single note, bend the note one or two frets lower to pitch and then you have room to relaese (lower) or stretch (higher) using vibrato.

Could not agree more, I've done tons of gigs with PRS trems, Suhr, Tom Anderson, before that it was Floyd's, however I do not like stringing floyd rose guitars. The PRS trem is a work of art, people uh and ahh over the eye candy and the trems are hardly ever mentioned. I've never broke a string or had a single issue. The appeal to be like Jake is very cool, he did it when everyone else used locking Floyd's, so it was unique, but now? The nut bends are cool. Jimmy Page did that and others well before Jake, Vivian Campbell did a nut bend in a solo that was something I will never forget on the last in line tour. Unreal!
Always easy to go wild if you have a spare and, better yet, a tech to rush it out to you :)

Another approach - he did something cool/interesting there. What cool/interesting thing could you do with what you have?

Why would you have a guitar with a trem and then not use the trem for the job it was created for?

I've been an active trem user for 35+ years and I've never broken a string while using one... I rarely break strings, but unless you've got a burr or sharp edge on a saddle/tuner/nut then you should not be breaking strings when using a trem. Especially for a subtle dip like a neck bend effect.
It’s a flawed design IMO , I’ve read and watched a ton of tutorials so don’t worry on me not knowing how to setup

This video demonstrates it extremely well

But Hey if its good enough for you more power to you, not going to discuss floyd pros/cons because I’m tired of it

Always easy to go wild if you have a spare and, better yet, a tech to rush it out to you :)

Another approach - he did something cool/interesting there. What cool/interesting thing could you do with what you have?
With a trem? I've pulled the pitch up with prs trem bar no problem. I've got no tech, I have had to learn how to prep my guitars for gigs, it's more than just string changes. I've never been one to bend at the nut or at the neck, not my thing. Randy Rhoads made me think he would snap his LP neck, unbelievable. What would I do? Lol

With a trem? I've pulled the pitch up with prs trem bar no problem. I've got no tech, I have had to learn how to prep my guitars for gigs, it's more than just string changes. I've never been one to bend at the nut or at the neck, not my thing. Randy Rhoads made me think he would snap his LP neck, unbelievable. What would I do? Lol
I was thinking more the nut bends and neck flex. Never know where you'll settle after those.

It’s a flawed design IMO , I’ve read and watched a ton of tutorials so don’t worry on me not knowing how to setup

This video demonstrates it extremely well

But Hey if its good enough for you more power to you, not going to discuss floyd pros/cons because I’m tired of it

A double locking system eliminates that issue...

But I was replying to your comment on trem use causing post wear and string breaks.

Anyway, everyone has their own preferences. I get it.

I was thinking more the nut bends and neck flex. Never know where you'll settle after those.
Ahh, sorry I misunderstood. You are right on that. I can't imagine getting good at either and the string(s) returning to pitch. The nut is usually what cause pitch problems , or the break angle per say. I saw Ted Nugent slide his guitar across the stage to the tech booth because he lost his signal, then the tech got his signal back, and to no surprise brought the guitar back without tuning it after he slid it across the stage on the strings face down!. He quickly took it back off. Lol, someone got the stink eye that night lol. Having a tech would ease the worry for sure Bending necks and at the nut in front of a packed house

A double locking system eliminates that issue...

But I was replying to your comment on trem use causing post wear and string breaks.

Anyway, everyone has their own preferences. I get it.
The video shows a double locking system exhibiting the issue , tested with mine aswell and many others

Mind you tuning fluctuates depending on the angle of the face of the guitar relative to the floor , trem or hardtail

Back
Top Bottom