Neal Schon GoT

Mids are the main part of what people in the audience hear of the guitar in a mix. It's the "soloed vs. in-the-mix" conundrum. Also shows some influence of the days with Santana. Listen to Santana's tone on Abraxas. Not a lot of low-end weight if you listen to it closely. The guitar tone leaves room for the bass and drums in the mix and OWNS the mids when there's no vocal happening....
True, but he does use a wha pedal set at a specific place in its travel frequently. Thats part of the reason his tone cuts through. Like Mick Ronson and Michael Schenker also did.

True, but he does use a wha pedal set at a specific place in its travel frequently. Thats part of the reason his tone cuts through. Like Mick Ronson and Michael Schenker also did.

Into a distorted amp, it saturates the distortion in the mids but ends up having a bit less effect on the total EQ curve. I use that trick a lot to help tune the gain structure to feed back on particular notes.... :)

FM, venue, Neal’s hands/fingers… Regardless, as a relative newbie to the real power of the Axe, I’m loving that this is a relatively simple pro setup (albeit without any of the external/physical attributes of Neal’s) that I can test out with my cover band.

Given the amount of times I’ve tried to dial in a “kitchen-sink” preset that works for all the songs we do, I’m looking forward to using this next week, keeping things “simple”

Back
Top Bottom