Wish Named Per-Preset Switches and Global Per-Preset Switches

Named Per-Preset Switches​

Having the possibility to give names to Per-Preset switches would be convenient when looking for the one you actually want to select in the PP#1..24 list.

Global Per-Preset Switches​

Weird, is't it? Layouts are basically Global Per-Preset switches. And layouts combined with Per-Preset Switches already gives advanced customization.
But having global Per-Preset switches would help reduce redundancy.

Short story
I need to assign the same Per-Preset Switch to many presets. Having a Global Per-Preset switch would avoid the need to redefine the switch in all presets.

Long story
Coming from an FX8, I was not sure how I could manage my presets and scenes efficiently with only 3 switches. I immediately concluded I would need a FC-6 to be happy with the FM3. Before pulling the trigger, I read the documentation and changed my mind. Given the way I intend to use the FM3, I realized I don't need more than 3 switches.
(I now have my FM3 and it's a killer product. I still cannot rationalize how so much quality and so many features can be packed in a single unit at such an affordable price).

I came up with what I like to call my KISS3 layouts.

It's based on the following premises and requirements:
  • One preset per song
  • Presets sorted by name
  • All changes in the signal chain are managed by Scenes (No effect switches, No channel switches)
  • No need for the looper
  • Fast navigation across presets
  • Quick access to the Tuner
  • Very rare need for more than 3 scenes per preset
  • Make the workflows as error prone as possible (keep It Simple Stupid)
KISS3 layouts description

Master Layout
TAP1: Select "Presets" layout
TAP2: Select "Presets++" layout
TAP3: Select Tuner
All HOLD switches: Select Scenes layout (Allows to quickly go back to the current preset scenes)

"Presets" Layout (Access to all presets, but navigation is slow)
TAP1: Select Preset 1 in Bank + Layout link to "Scenes" Layout
TAP2: Select Preset 2 in Bank + Layout link to "Scenes" Layout
TAP3: Select Preset 3 in Bank + Layout link to "Scenes" Layout

HOLD1: Bank -1
HOLD2: Select Master Layout
HOLD3: Bank +1

"Presets++" Layout (Quickly navigate into presets)
TAP1: Bank -1
TAP2: Select Preset 2 in Bank + Layout link to "Presets" Layout
TAP3: Bank +1

HOLD1: Bank -3
HOLD2: Select Master Layout
HOLD3: Bank +3

"Scenes" Layout
All TAP switches: Select Scene in view
HOLD 1: View -1
HOLD 2: Select Master Layout
HOLD 1: View +1

Many of my presets don't even have 3 scenes. To make my presets even less error prone, I need to disable navigating in views and disable scene selection for undefined scenes. This can be accomplished with 3 Per-Preset Switches:
  • TAP: Select Scene 1 in View
    HOLD: Unassigned
    Assigned to Switch 1, 4, 7, 10 if needed
  • TAP: Select Scene 3 in View
    Assigned to Switch 3, 6, 9, 12 if needed
  • TAP: Unassigned
    Assigned to undefined scene switches
Hence the need for Global Per-Preset Switches. I could define these 3 switches once and reuse them across all my presets where needed.
I can do all I need without this, but this is a bit more tedious.

Short story

I need to assign the same Per-Preset Switch to many presets. Having a Global Per-Preset switch would avoid the need to redefine the switch in all presets.
TL;DR... ;-)

But I like this idea a lot. Even better if you could decide whether that switch was "linked" to the Global so that later you could change something in one preset and either update all of them or not.

Example: you have a switch that toggles between Drive channels A & B. But later you decide to toggle between A & C in one of your presets. If it's linked it would change all of them (like updating a Global block). If it's not linked it would only change in that one preset (hence, it's still "per preset" ;-)

I was thinking about what I am trying to address here, and I think an FM3-Edit only feature would satisfy me.
I just need a way to define a per preset switch only once and quickly assign this switch to many presets.
I am thinking something like a Switch Library, similar to the Block Library.

However, I would certainly be happy of true Global Per-Preset switches as @jefferski describes!

Back
Top Bottom