Name your favorite speakers using Axe-fx + poweramp + cab.

I've settled on getting an SLA-1 (or Sla-2) poweramp and a 2x12 cab.
A myriad of speakers to choose from, but I don't have enough experience.
I play HSS stratocasters and the speakers must be versatile and good for fender clean, AC 30 overdrive, classic rock and traditional heavy metal.
I'm really interested in lightweight powerful neodymium speakers like Eminence Lil Texas, Tonkerlite, and Celestion century vintage (98dB), celestion century (102 dB). I know vintage 30's are very popular and Seventy 80's sounds good in the Sam Hill YT clips. Perhaps 2 different speakers in one cab is the way to go for more versatility?
Please share your speaker experience here.

Mix of a Greenback and a G12H in a ported 2x12 cab for me. A very versatile combination that can do cleans, classic and modern rock tones very well. Versatile like the Axe, so a good match.

I'd personally go for a 2x12 with one celestion V30 and one celestion T75. These are 2 of the most popular speakers and they compliment each other greatly, alot of people are using this combo. The V30 gives you that hyped mid range and the T75 gives you the big lows and bright highs, really great. Also it gives you 2 tonal options for mic-ing and with axe it's better to have a few speaker flavors to work with since you aren't going to be using the cabinet IRs

Before I became a dedicated FRFR user, my favorite guitar cab was a pair of Mesa Thieles loaded with Celestion C90's.

Other speakers I've tried that also get very good results are the Eminence Wizard, Eminence Man-O-War, or EVM 12L.

I also tried The Tonker which has a nice woody sound, but wasn't as versatile as the other drivers.

Thanks for all input, keep it coming!
The reason I'm interested in Neodymium speakers is that they are loud, yet only weigh about 2 kg each. Traditional 12's weigh about 4,5 kg. Still not enough neo reviews out there to make me comfortable. Vintage 30's come stock in both fender and marshall amps so they seem safe and versatile. Do they lack a bit low and top end as mentioned? Anyone tried the Eminence Governour that seem to be a v30 copy?
EV12L are popular too, but weigh a ton! My back can't handle that torture.
I'm going for a flex cab that can switch from open to closed back.
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/produc ... X-Pro.html
Are some speakers not suitable for open or closed cabs?

I've had my G12M and V30 loaded Legacy for years. It's a little on the bright side, but sounds good. It's what I'll use until I go FR. I don't like v30s alone, but for whatever reason, they sound good mixed with some greenbacks. I remember someone commenting on mixing G12Ms and V30s...."it seems the combination accentuates the good properties of both speakers and attenuates the bad properties of both speakers". I agree with that statement.

i went the Eminence Delta pro 12's with selenium dh series hf. drivers in a homebrew frfr route.they are heavy speakers but sound great.the smile i get on my face when i play is worth the backpain. :D

Depends what you want.

The most "neutral" speakers are the EV12Ls mentioned. They react well with the axe for just that reason - they dont have too much of their own personality, instead realying on the amp (or in this case axe) that is used.

However they are very expensive.

For a more traditional speakers - ie ones that has its own thing going on, the most common (which I use - and so does Dr Z ;) ) is a mix of one V30 and one G12H. The G12H gives the low end and smoother highs for more traditional rock tones. The V30 adds agressive mids and sharp highs for more modern rock tones. When blended together there probably the most versatile, nice sounding mix.

Currently I have them in a VHT closed 2x12 cab - but Im changing the cab (but keeping the speaker mix) for a zilla cab. Its Ported for extra bottom end, and has a 3 piece back so the cab can be used closed, open or 3/4 closed. It makes it very versatile.

It will also be a stereo/mono cab - this means I can drive it from a single channel amp (or bridged mono) in mono OR I can feed each speaker with its own signal via one channel of a stereo amp each.

As the two speakers are rated at different Watts (the G12 is 30W the V30 is 60) I can set the amps channels so each is pushed nicley (ie more power to the V30, less to the G12) with a patch panned centre then use the axe to ballance how much of each speaker is used for each tone/patch I programme (by panning more left or right). So for metal, more V30 less G12. For vintage rock/blues more G12 less V30. Makes it VERY versatile.

Back
Top Bottom