Naima on Stick Guitar

Per Boysen

Inspired

I recorded a cover of Coltrane's Naima today with my 26,5 inch scale Chapman Stick Guitar SG-12. Twelve strings on a board optimised for tapping so you tap with both hands (like playing the piano or harp). That's why it might sound like two guitars although it actually is a performance on one instrument.

Quantum beta: Fender Vibroverb on the six fourths tuned strings and a Fender Bassman on the six fifths tuned strings. Really happy with those clean tones for this dual output instrument!

On one of the two six strings group outputs I'm using a volume pedal that also freezes the Axe's two delays at toe-up position where instrument's output are muted (and of course the usual full instrument volume at toe-down).

Sound really nice Per! Remembers me of the days when I played Chapman Stick (for 6 years or so in total).
How did you do that exactly with the freezing of the delay? what settings are that?

Sound really nice Per! Remembers me of the days when I played Chapman Stick (for 6 years or so in total).
How did you do that exactly with the freezing of the delay? what settings are that?

First, I only use the volume/freeze fix on the fretboard I'm playing the melody on, so the chords fretboard output is not affected. Here are the settings:

- External expression pedal assigned to a Modulator.
- Assign that Mod to Volume/Pan block (or Gate block... or whatever block with an output level parameter).
- For freezing a Delay block assign the same Mod to the Delay block's Feedback parameter and switch the *high* vs *low* in the assignment window (to have it cross fading versus the volume sweep). Cut off bass and highs in the Delay block EQ to get a nice "timbre evolution" of sound at full feedback (when its "frozen").
- For freezing a Reverb block you just assign the Mod to the freeze button parameter in the Reverb block.

In the intro I'm freezing a reverb, but that patch also has a phaser in the chain and that phaser goes at a very slow rate that is morphed by a slow LFO. The melody side playing goes through my patch with two Delay blocks; one set to straight eight note duration and the other to triplets. And both Delays are being panned slowly by LFOs.

Not a very complex patch but you have to spend time fine tuning levels for Delay EQ cutoff vs feedback until you get that cool vibe of a hovering cloud that slowly tilts over time.

Back
Top Bottom