NAD (New Amp Day!)

Rich G.

Experienced
Cliff said:
Also check out the Carol-Ann models because they're just really good amps and sound even better now.

Now I get to compare the model to the real deal! This just arrived:
zmjx5f.jpg

Sorry, no audio clips or vids yet...

Here are some highlights:
  • Ch A Cleans are pristine with plenty of headroom
  • Ch B OD is pure rock tone. It has a Marshall flavor to it, but with more mid-wood chunk... less "bite", more "chew". Complex chords ring out nice and full. String rakes (muting with left hand, strumming with right) produce a very pronounced chiff that cuts through. Most other amps will be like "ch-ch-chwwwaaa" when banging out an A chord. This amp is more like "Kuh-Kuh-Kuuwwwaaaa".
  • Ch C picks up where Ch B left off. It's just "more" drive than Ch B. It doesn't get into Recto territory. More like modded Marshall.
My Les Paul Traditional with Classic '57 pickups sounded amazing through this amp. I couldn't make this combination sound bad.

I struggled for a while to get what I was looking for when I plugged in the American Standard Tele with a Duncan Antiquity bridge pup. Turning the volume down just 1/8 of a turn on Ch B dropped the output way off and it didn't clean up as much as I wanted. This could've been due to the Alnico || magnets in the Antiquity pickup. I ended up using an AC Booster in front of Ch A with the Tele. The AC Booster cleaned up nicely when rolling the volume down on the Tele.

Back
Top Bottom