NAD: Friedman BE-100 Deluxe

Ryan Pullin

My wife and I moved recently and I’ve been blessed with the ability to crank big iron amps again. Also have been blessed financially recently and decided to go for my dream amp: a Friedman BE-100 Deluxe.

I got to play the BE-100 for a bit on my lunch break and it’s already being what I hoped it would be. I owned a Small Box 50 for a bit last year and really loved the BE and Plexi channels, so it’s great to have those again along with the HBE and all the switches to try out.

I’m running it through my Mojotone Grand Canyon 4x12 with the Mojotone BV-60N and Celestion Neo Creambacks in an X pattern. I have a Mojotone Lite with the same speaker configuration, but that’s like an open back 4x12 so I’m excited to hear it through that as well.

I’m also really wanting to compare it to my Axe FX 3 with the SD PS700 to see how close I can get it. I’ve always wondered how “accurate” that set up is or if I should try a different power amp. May do 4CM with the Friedman as well for the all-encompassing set up.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated!
IMG_2361.jpeg

I had a BE 100 Deluxe, modified by Dave with a few things and a different Tolex and a matching Friedman 4x12 cab.
Best Amp I ever had!
But the Axe III is so good, I couldn’t keep the amp.

I had a BE 100 Deluxe, modified by Dave with a few things and a different Tolex and a matching Friedman 4x12 cab.
Best Amp I ever had!
But the Axe III is so good, I couldn’t keep the amp.
I’m waiting to see if that’s the case, but I tend to justify it myself by doing a 4CM and using the axe fx as a pedal board, essentially lol.

What set up with the axe fx were you using that made you not want to keep the Friedman too?

Jamming Rock N Roll GIF by Foo Fighters

I’m waiting to see if that’s the case, but I tend to justify it myself by doing a 4CM and using the axe fx as a pedal board, essentially lol.

What set up with the axe fx were you using that made you not want to keep the Friedman too?
4CM to try the Axe with the same power amp and cab like the BE Deluxe.
Honestly I couldn’t hear a difference between them.
The BE is pure awesome but now with the Axe I do have this amp and I can play it with Headphones at night, in a wet dry wet setup or whatever I want!

I can highly recommend the York Audio FDMAN or M25 Cab pack.
You can get very good results with the Fractal Friedman Dyna Cab.

4CM to try the Axe with the same power amp and cab like the BE Deluxe.
Honestly I couldn’t hear a difference between them.
The BE is pure awesome but now with the Axe I do have this amp and I can play it with Headphones at night, in a wet dry wet setup or whatever I want!

I can highly recommend the York Audio FDMAN or M25 Cab pack.
You can get very good results with the Fractal Friedman Dyna Cab.
That’s good to know! I think the PS700 is amazing and the axe fx is probably going to do the heavy lifting for the power amp sound/feel anyway. Also no tubes and I can throw it in a backpack is pretty sick lol.

I’ve been getting into building amps as well and the BE-100 is my “gold standard.” I thought it wouldn’t hurt having the real deal and also using it for reference when the time comes.

I started messing around with the DynaCabs here recently and my first sound I liked was a combo of the citrus and the SLO cabs. I need to try the Friedmans again.

That’s good to know! I think the PS700 is amazing and the axe fx is probably going to do the heavy lifting for the power amp sound/feel anyway. Also no tubes and I can throw it in a backpack is pretty sick lol.

I’ve been getting into building amps as well and the BE-100 is my “gold standard.” I thought it wouldn’t hurt having the real deal and also using it for reference when the time comes.

I started messing around with the DynaCabs here recently and my first sound I liked was a combo of the citrus and the SLO cabs. I need to try the Friedmans again.
Yeah the BE Deluxe is glorious, I played a Smallbox and a SS100 V2 as well.
Actually I‘m more into Plexis and more raw sounding amps.
I love the Friedmans but sometimes I find them to polished, to round.
Then I‘m going to create my own raw pissed off Plexi with the Axe. And that is exactly the point where you can unlock the full potential of the Axe.
Change Tubes, change Tonestack, etc.

Back
Top Bottom