n00b having issues with Garageband

My AFXII was delivered on Friday, and I love it! Great tone, great feel, lots of cool options for a knob-turner like myself.

However, I am getting a delay of about 1 sec after playing for 15 minutes. I am using it as an interface to work with Garageband through USB. I changed the USB cable. I've attempted to keep my presets CPU usage down, and while that helps, it doesn't seem to fix the issue.

Does anyone have any pointers or fixes that I can try?

That's unusual. It's most certainly not the Axe FX, it sounds like an interface latency. It's strange though that it appears later.

It does sound like interface latency, but the Axe is my interface. I don't think it is the Axe, either. I think it is something I've got set some way or even that Garageband just sucks with the Axe (maybe due to 44.1 vs. 48?)

Can you adjust buffer size somewhere in software settings? It solves the problem with Amplitube.

It does sound like interface latency, but the Axe is my interface. I don't think it is the Axe, either. I think it is something I've got set some way or even that Garageband just sucks with the Axe (maybe due to 44.1 vs. 48?)

I wonder if your monitoring the audio through GarageBands mixer rather than direct from the axe?

I would suggest making sure you had look ahead plugins deactivated but then that wouldn't explain the delay over time.

You probably want everything running at the same sample rate though. Go for 48khz system wide.

Well I just loaded garageband up to see whats what. I've never actually used it for more than 5 minutes but it looks like it's yet another application that forces 44.1khz.
It might just be me, it might be El Capitan, it might just be nothing but so far that Garageband AND Guitar Pro 6 on El Capitan that force 44.1khz by default.

I tried it with my inbuilt audio device (iMac late 2012 top spec) and my Steinberg UR28m interface and on loading or changing audio device it forces 44.1khz. Also neither programs seem to have a menu option to allow changing of the sample rate.
You can do it manually via the ADUIO MIDI settings on the mac but I expect it to warp the audio and cause problems.

I'm no audio pro, you might have guessed this but it could well have something to do with the issues people are having with these 2 programs/El Capitan

I suspect that HarrySound hit the nail on the head. Garageband is a 44.1 only app. The Fractal will up and down sample automatically however it was stated to me, by Cliff, that this indeed added latency. I experienced this same thing when working on old sound projects I had in Logic that were done in 44.1. Experimenting with the buffer size in the Axe helps a tiny bit but ultimately I went with a 3rd party audio interface for this reason as well as monitoring software availability.

I suspect that HarrySound hit the nail on the head. Garageband is a 44.1 only app. The Fractal will up and down sample automatically however it was stated to me, by Cliff, that this indeed added latency. I experienced this same thing when working on old sound projects I had in Logic that were done in 44.1. Experimenting with the buffer size in the Axe helps a tiny bit but ultimately I went with a 3rd party audio interface for this reason as well as monitoring software availability.

I'll give that a shot this weekend. I also think this is the issue. Just an excuse to get a new DAW. "But Honey, this DAW Software doesn't work..." ;)

i have this same delay with Logic, Garageband's big brother. It'll track along perfect then all the sudden there will be a 1 second or so delay. The only fix is to restart Logic, which sucks mid session.

i have this same delay with Logic, Garageband's big brother. It'll track along perfect then all the sudden there will be a 1 second or so delay. The only fix is to restart Logic, which sucks mid session.

I think it's crap that Apple did to their OSX starting about Mavericks. Possibly in Lion or Mountain Lion because I skipped those. Logic 9 was rock solid with Snow Leopard. When using Logic 9 and Yosemite my system starts hanging and delaying. I press the spacebar to stop the transport and it keeps going. Eventually it will stop. I know it's time to shut down Logic and restart.

When using Logic X the problem is not so apparent. It's just unfortunate that parts of Logic X suck. On any Apple system it is also pretty much imperative to use a 7200 RPM drive at minimum.

My AFXII was delivered on Friday, and I love it! Great tone, great feel, lots of cool options for a knob-turner like myself.

However, I am getting a delay of about 1 sec after playing for 15 minutes. I am using it as an interface to work with Garageband through USB. I changed the USB cable. I've attempted to keep my presets CPU usage down, and while that helps, it doesn't seem to fix the issue.

Does anyone have any pointers or fixes that I can try?

I has exactly the same problem with GB and worked with Apple directly for 6 months or so trying to resolve it.

Bottom line is the Garageband only uses a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and this cannot be changed. The Axe FX uses 48 kHz so that's the mis match.

My solution as to go the Logic Pro where the sample rate can be changed, as well as another setting for low latency.

I made a couple of short videos, see link below which explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuHc0Y3gvJTaEND46km-LPl5aYK0Q2RtG

Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom