My Ultimate Practice Setup - Completed!

Finally got where I wanted to be for my daily parctice setup.

Guitar->AXE->AXE LineOut->IRigPro->iPad->GarageBand->Seinheiser HD280 Headphones

On the iPad I use Audiobus to link into GarageBand:
- iTunes Library
- Jam-Up Looper/Channel Cancel/Speed Slow Down
- SessionBand Blues & Rock Backing Track Creator
- TrueFire Lessons

This is great....and it only cost e about $3000! But it does sound GREAT! :D

I like the way you think. I tried doing this with an iPad for a while, but I migrated to:

Guitar
|
Zoom G-3 -> AKG K240 Headphones
|
Sony Z-Series Notebook
- Transcribe!
- EZdrummer
- Guitar Pro
- a mix of Truefire and Lick Library stuff

Benefits are (1) the whole rig runs off the computer battery since the G3 is USB powered, (2) the G3 makes the rig footswitchable, (3) the notebook means I can set it on a table rather than a music stand, and (4) everything except the guitar fits in a small bag. The main con is having the headphone cable running to the floor (can't use bluetooth anymore), but it doesn't get in the way so much if I toss it over my left shoulder.

I decided to not go with a PC solution because a portion of the time (for true portability) I don't use the AXE.

In this case instead of using the AXE I plug the guitar into the iRig Pro and runthat through Bias/Jamup then into GarageBand

Guitar->IRigPro->iPad->GarageBand->Seinheiser HD280 Headphones

The guitar tone isn't as good as the AXE, but I still have access to
- iTunes Library
- Jam-Up Looper/Channel Cancel/Speed Slow Down
- SessionBand Blues & Rock Backing Track Creator
- TrueFire Lessons

The options for guitar processing on the PC (Amplitube/POD/etc) are just too expensive compared to the iPad solution and the hardware interface to a PC has a bigger footprint which cuts down on my portatbility.

What is do miss about the PC solution is a much wider selection of TrueFire/Guitar Instructor/Conventional CD Courses which only run on the PC. When I really have to run courses off a PC, I mix the output of the iPad with the output of the PC with a small Behringer Mixer and use the Mixer to drive my phones. This way I can process the guitar either through the AXE or the iPad and have access to a lrger selection of course material.

This is what I get for being a techno-geek! :lol

This is why Line6 will succeed with the amplify thing-a-ma-bob.

The Line6 Thing-a-ma-Bob will be able to play lessons videos, have a backing track generator and a DAW?
Or are all those functions hosted on a PC which connects to the Thing-a-ma-Bob through a USB Port?

Back
Top Bottom