My Two cents on the new Song/Setlist function

All in all I think In my case the song layout doesn't provide everything I need, so I'll just keep on using the scene layout, and that's cool, you don't have to use everything that's implemented on the unit. But what about the setlist function? I do really need that one, the problem is that it only works with the song layout, not the scene layout.
….
But there should be a way to use the setlist feature without depending on the song layout, I just wanna organize my banks in 4 different setlists as it exists already, but not with the song layout, with the scenes layout.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, why do I want a shortcut to the setlist if I'm not using the "song layout"? I already explained why the song feature doesn't work for me at this moment and the setlist feature is only available with the song layout...

Sorry, I was replying directly to these statements which I don’t think are accurate.

Maybe they are accurate in which case I would be wrong.

My understanding is that the 8 available FC layouts can all be customized and changed to suit your need. For example layout 1 default is presets; but it doesn’t have to be…you can change it.

The way you were explaining, it sounded like these FC layouts (ie scene layout, song layout) could not be changed or combined.

My point was yes they can.

Edit: on many of your points I have nothing to comment; for example the 10 character limit - valid. But on this specific point I think there is space to explore here and hopefully find a solution that helps you get closer to what you’re after.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was replying directly to these statements which I don’t think are accurate.

Maybe they are accurate in which case I would be wrong.

My understanding is that the 8 available FC layouts can all be customized and changed to suit your need. For example layout 1 default is presets; but it doesn’t have to be…you can change it.

The way you were explaining, it sounded like these FC layouts (ie scene layout, song layout) could not be changed or combined.

My point was yes they can.

Edit: on many of your points I have nothing to comment; for example the 10 character limit - valid. But on this specific point I think there is space to explore here and hopefully find a solution that helps you get closer to what you’re after.

Ok, I'm gonna be totally honest about it, when I wrote this thread I wasn't really thinking about a way I could hack my custom layouts in order to make the setlist function work for my needs with the way I'm using the FM9, due to the fact that they are already configured and working as I wanted them to be, I was thinking more in a way of how I wanted this new FM9 feature to be for me, how I've used it on my other gear and how I'm already familiar with it, to make my work easier, faster and totally intuitive.
It was also related to the way the song/setlist function is integrated on the unit and on the editor as a whole thing, not as different and totally independent features, how I think it would be more usefull for everyone.
After reading all the recent responses I went to bed thinking "well, maybe I should be more open-minded about this and find some clever way to make the setlist work for my needs without even creating songs or using the song layout at all". I may have some ideas now and I'm gonna try today some layout experiments to see if maybe I can make this work with a different approach.
If I succeed then I'm gonna be a very happy man and I will post my findings in case someone else is interested in using the setlist feature without using songs at all, just scenes. If not, well, I'll just stay with what I have now and stick to my first impressions, in any case my FM9 it's been working great as it is and I really can't complain.

Ok, I'm gonna be totally honest about it, when I wrote this thread I wasn't really thinking about a way I could hack my custom layouts in order to make the setlist function work for my needs with the way I'm using the FM9, due to the fact that they are already configured and working as I wanted them to be, I was thinking more in a way of how I wanted this new FM9 feature to be for me, how I've used it on my other gear and how I'm already familiar with it, to make my work easier, faster and totally intuitive.
It was also related to the way the song/setlist function is integrated on the unit and on the editor as a whole thing, not as different and totally independent features, how I think it would be more usefull for everyone.
After reading all the recent responses I went to bed thinking "well, maybe I should be more open-minded about this and find some clever way to make the setlist work for my needs without even creating songs or using the song layout at all". I may have some ideas now and I'm gonna try today some layout experiments to see if maybe I can make this work with a different approach.
If I succeed then I'm gonna be a very happy man and I will post my findings in case someone else is interested in using the setlist feature without using songs at all, just scenes. If not, well, I'll just stay with what I have now and stick to my first impressions, in any case my FM9 it's been working great as it is and I really can't complain.
You weren't complaining, you were explaining how the unit works for you and what your needs are.
Don't let commenters get to you. You have every right to post what you did, and you are clearly looking for solutions, not whining. Best of luck!

Update.
After trying a lot of ideas I think I got something that works for what I need. So basically what I ended up doing is using my normal scene layout but with a layout link assigned to a song, so yeah, I did used the song feature but just as a reference point to my main layout, I'm not creating a "song" per se, just putting a reference name with the number of the preset I need en each one and dragging it to the setlist I want. My presets have now also a layout link to each setlist, so when I step on a preset it goes to the selected song which is also tied to my scene layout, so it works just like before but tied to the setlist, so that's cool. So all in all I think at the end I got what I needed even though not in the way I thought it would. I still think this feature could be elevated with a lot of things and I still stand to everything I posted before, But now I think I got something that suits me well in case it never gets updated.

I guess I fail to see the point vs copy and quickly alter? Not trying to argue, just not seeing things same way maybe. Now maybe if you are grabbing different scenes from different patches. But other than that....
I agree, BUHHHT…being new to fractal. I’m still tryin ta get my basic live core tones dialed in. Done a couple shows with FM9, and for our cover band, I need my general rock, funk, etc… patches on every bank with a “specialty” patch at the end, so at any given time I can cover whatever may get called out.

First couple shows I did really screwed me, cuz making an adjustment live, only edited the bank I was on. Then I’d have ta re-save edited version to all banks…

Messing with it yesterday thinkin there’s GOTTA be a way. I set up my gen patches in songs/setlist for preset buttons 1-4…then left button 5 on preset 5. So in presets, I load my specialty patches on 5-10-15, etc…and can bank up or down, and the only thing that changes is my specialty patch, and don’t have to re-save any patches….I’ll be doin a show tomorrow see how it works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom