My try at Dream Theater's Dance of Eternity

Are you playing over the original recording (that is, the original track with petrucci) or all we hear you with the axefx and a backing track without guitars?

tlingen said:
Great job! I would love to try your patch. Can you please post it?

At the beginning of the video it shows that he is using the Petrucci Rhythm preset. He shows making a minor tweak to increase the drive to 6.73. I assume the preset is otherwise stock.

One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums EVER!

You do it justice.....to say the least! Fantastic tone and playing...both guitar and piano!

That was simply fantastic! Excellent work my friend!

I have been overlooking the stock presets it seems - especially with the new firmware out (9.00) I am going to have to revisit them!

Now I need to get myself a seven string guitar.... :mrgreen:

VidarAus

I have been playing with the stock (9.00) preset you used and bumped the gain a little.

Well I'll be damned. I have been slaving over a hot Axe-FX for a long time trying to get a good JP Rhythm tone, and I think that is pretty close. I don't think that it sounds fantastic on its own, but it sits perfectly in a mix and sounds very similar to JP's tone.

I guess I need to start tweaking more for things that sound good in a mix ( :roll: ) not good on their own as my other presets sound good (to my ear) on their own but like a$$ in a mix. They fill too much sonic space and get washed out.

Lead sounds seem to be a bit different - they sound good in and out of a mix!!

Thanks a lot for the clip. It has really opened my eyes to a few things!

VidarAus

Definetly jaw-dropping. Both playing and Tone couldn't be more accurate.

It also reminds me that as much as I like to listen to Petrucci's tone, I don't like the feeling of it for playing. Just went through the stock preset and felt that same way.

It's weird that I always thought his tone on backstage live vids from sound check or on DVD backstage scenes was bad compared to the albums. It's not his tone alone that is great, but the band's tone as a whole.

Kudos for the playing (both gtr and piano)! Most Dream Theater songs serve as a perfect finger exercise but I am not always sure about the musical/emotional impact, but that's a matter of taste and shouldn't be discussed here.
Most people sell all their amps after getting an Axe-Fx, will you keep your tiny Marshall-stack because Cliff didn't model it yet?

Back
Top Bottom