My TM progess

Heavyplayer

Experienced
My TM progress

Let me start off by saying I'm not an expert by far, and when I first started Tone Matching I didn't bother to look at the eq part of it. I thought it was suppose to sound identical just putting a TM block in the chain, hit a few buttons.....done deal. After all these great updates I started listening to my old TM presets and looked at the eq, not that they sounded bad, but the eq was all over the place, and that drives me nuts!

So, now I been trying to redo some and add new TM presets. Even though they aren't perfect, they "look" better as far as eq goes, and of course sound closer.
Anyway, here are a few screen shots (not sure how to make them bigger) of what I been messing with here and there. Very time consuming so when I'm not really practicing I work on these. Any tips etc....let me know. I'm technically a noob so I'm up for suggestions.

Huges & Kettner Triamp.jpgEarForceFord.jpgSherlock Fathead.jpgBogner Alchemist Ch3.jpgEngl Invader.jpg

The Bogner is a TM I did of the actual amp, as you can tell huge difference.

Last edited:
I wish I could contribute something useful to your thread, but I've never once looked at Tone Matching!

I'm more of a noob than you therefore, but if those EQ curves represent adjustments which are being automatically applied as a result of analysing a source tone, then I'd say they look pretty reasonable

It's cool. I guess most thought I attached the patches, which I was going to if anyone was interested. And yeah the closer you are to a flat EQ, the closer you are to the devise or clip you're trying to TM.

The problem Im having with tone matching is that the result is not even close to the tone im matching. There's just something wrong with it. Course that could be what happens when you tone match through youtube.

you have any samples of this tone? Im curious.

Yeah I think it's the youtube clips that causes inconsistencies, which might sound as if TM isn't working correctly. I'm hesitant to share patches as it's a good possibility they might not translate well. But ya never know. Here is the Invader patch. This was made with a 7 string using headphones.

View attachment Engl Invader.syx

For some reason, everytime i try to load someone else's preset it doesnt work. The blocks are there but they're all set at default settings. Don't know why.

Cool thing is is that I followed the instructions and used the USA Lead 1 amp and scooped the EQ and the result was amazing! I finally found that tone with the bite i was looking for! Now I just gotta juggle around with the cabs and mics and I can start finishing my projects. Very informative.

That's weird. Well at least you're getting the tone when want that's what matters.
For those who are checking out the preset, feedback on how it's working for you would be appreciated. I have a few more I might share if these work out for some.

Hey man, great job "EQ matching". I do this with all my other non-Axe-FX gear. For instance, I wanted to create the "blackened" tone on my VG-99 so I pumped it into Izotope Ozone on my PC (I think I got this tip from Clark Kent a few years ago), then I compared the difference between the tone I created by ear and the actual recording and tried to compensate with EQ.

Basically, what i'm seeing here is that you're taking some of the EQ work away from the the TM block. My guess is you would get more accurate results if TM doesn't have to do as much work. Good on you but holy crap this kind of work costs me hours....

I'm trying to match a clip but I constantly get weird "comb filter" sound, where the tone match adds huge peaks and valleys. The tone is ok before the TMA but crap after. I want to use it just as a studio guy who dials the eq to get into same feel as the original.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to match a clip but I constantly get weird "comb filter" sound, where the tone match adds huge peaks and valleys. The tone is ok before the TMA but crap after. I want to use it just as a studio guy who dials the eq to get into same feel as the original.

What am I doing wrong?

Have you followed fractal's Tone Match Manual and Guide?

Worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom