My Standard arrives today. Where should I start?

caseygree

Hey guys,

this is my 2nd of what's sure to become a host of annoying help questions about the Axe FX Standard.

Anyways, it arrives today.
I don't have a power amp yet, nor do I have any powered speakers. Should be getting a VHT 2/90/2 this weekend.

In the meantime, what methods can I employ for at least getting started on experimentation? Effect unit only through FX loop on my Egnater Mod 50? Direct to computer?
I have a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and usually just record scratch tracks using GarageBand. Older iMac G5.

Also, any just general advice for a complete noob to the Axe world? Anything you wish you would have known your first day with one?

Thanks,
Case

It's a new gadget man. Plug it into the loop of the Mod50, crank the snot out of it and jam. You can deal with the details soon enough. Start with a little relaxed enjoyment and jam!

It's a new gadget man. Plug it into the loop of the Mod50, crank the snot out of it and jam. You can deal with the details soon enough. Start with a little relaxed enjoyment and jam!

+1

Learn to have fun with it before you get into the guts.

Yeah, just jump in and jam! I LOVE my ultra. Played it in church for the first time the other day and I am still impressed the way it sounded. AND...no BUZZZ! (Which is good because I cannot stand buzzing guitar equipment through a PA system)

Unless your well versed at rack gear I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest you get to know "how too" first, sure plug it in and play a little. If you really want to not be disappointed with your new toy learn how to use the interface first, starting with amp and cab sims... well amp sims anyway if your plugging in to your amps effects loop. Forget about messing with effects for now and figure out how to dial in the amp tones. Once your comfortable with that move on to the next challenge.

Just jam and have fun ;)

And click the links in my sig, they will get you started quickly

Back
Top Bottom