my six month axe review

mhd1970

Inspired
i bought my axe-fx ultra in august of 2010. i've had six months with it now, and here's what i think:

it is the most powerful and best sounding amp modeler AND multi-effects unit i have ever used. add to it the MFC-101 and you can do just about everything that is worth doing with a guitar rig.

in these six months i have tried a number of configurations, seeking the ever elusive "ultimate rig". this includes using the axe-fx with studio monitors, PA speakers, a stereo tube amp with guitar cabs, and running mono both 4CM and simply in the FX loop of my favorite guitar amp. every one of these configurations has its own merits. i could not declare a single winner. i have instead declared two winners... one for best overall functionality and one for best overall tone:

BEST OVERALL FUNCTIONALITY

axe-fx into studio monitors with a computer in the effects loop. i have dynaudio BM5A's and the matching BM9S subwoofer. i run ableton live and logic pro on a macbook with an apogee duet audio interface. this configuration allows me to hear the full capabilities of the axe-fx through my FRFR system and i'm able to control my DAW of choice with the MFC-101. one of my favorite attributes of this configuration is using ableton live as the most powerful looper you can imagine, fully controlled by the MFC-101. this is the configuration i prefer for composing and recording.

BEST OVERALL TONE

axe-fx in the effects loop of my Mark V, driving a custom open back 2x12 and a standard 4x12 recto slant cab, all switched by the MFC-101, a mini amp gizmo and a radial cab-bone cab switcher. tone is such a subjective thing. i have been trying to think of a way to describe this, and the best i could come up with is that there is a golden halo of sound coming out of my Mark V (an incredible amp that also deserves six months before anyone renders a review), and with every added instance of external processing, the outermost rings of that golden halo are stripped away. the core tone is still there, but i can hear the difference. this configuration gives me the outstanding effects of the axe-fx and most of that golden halo is left intact. this is how i am currently running the axe and this configuration yields the best tone i've ever achieved.

i have been playing guitar for 20 years and have bought and used more equipment and software than i care to list. i can wholeheartedly recommend the axe-fx to anyone considering it. buy it and find the configuration(s) that work best for you...

thanks to fractal audio and all the good folks who participate in this forum. you guys rock!

matt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom