My Personal trick to get 70s Sound

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
Usually, people chain 2 amps in parallel.
But I really recommend to get 2 plexi chained in series and play with it a bit. I really got close to blackmore and zeppelin tones without even using a boost pedal
Cutting the cab filter to 70hz-5500Hz helps and using the tape 70s preamp

Attachments

• 1647184118905743199464580030428.jpg
    1647184118905743199464580030428.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
i don't think running two power amp sims in series is considered best practice? (i.e., this is not representative of any real life signal chains and the blocks themselves aren't designed with this use in mind) i think it's fine if you turn supply sag to 0 in the first block though

i don't think running two power amp sims in series is considered best practice? (i.e., this is not representative of any real life signal chains and the blocks themselves aren't designed with this use in mind) i think it's fine if you turn supply sag to 0 in the first block though
Well, i didn't really deep thought it.
It simply sounds good to me, and I know that in the old days people would stack amps and tried it myself

Just FYI, Blackmore mostly used an AC30 with a tape deck as a sort of "boost" when recording. Also, sometimes live as well. There's a picture floating around of a Marshall with a Vox inside it...

As for Page, I think he a well known user of "small" amps in the studio.

The real beauty of AxeFX: doing things you’d NEVER try in “real life” and finding out that it sounds so good to do it — and NEVER having to worry about letting the Magic Smoke out of anything.

“Best practices”? HA!
i believe the case Cliff indicated in the past was not to run them in series when you're switching between them or bypassing one block part time. if you keep both on full time and you like how it sounds then that's probably fine

Last edited:
Terry Kath had an old Bogen PA amp he ran into the input of a Fender Showman, IIRC. Not sure what was done to load the Bogen and pad the signal down to a reasonable-ish level. People used Fender Champs as boosts, too. Pretty sure that is the basis of the Garnet Herzog booster....

Well, i didn't really deep thought it.
It simply sounds good to me, and I know that in the old days people would stack amps and tried it myself
If it sounds good then great..there are no rules in digital.

You could actually try this in the real world by running the reactive loadbox signal of one Plexi into a reamp box and then into the front end of the second Plexi. It ends up being like an eq stage before the second preamp.

As we know, daisy chaining Plexi amps was traditionally done by plugging the guitar into the high treble input of Amp 1 and then running a cable from the normal input of Amp 1 to the high treble input of Amp 2. You can easily do this by running the guitar into two high treble only Plexi amp blocks in parallel.

If you're going for that '73 Page live tone, try using one of the orignal basketweave Axe Fx II cabs to get the right midrange character..gives a very TSRTS tone. Also the Fet Boost (drive on zero to get a similar vibe to the Echoplex that Page used ) or Treble Booster blocks in front of the Plexi can get you there, or even just messing with the bright cap value of the Plexi.

Last edited:
I think the Creation plugged one amp right into another for Making Time. You can hear the amp start to completely crap out at the end. This might just be a myth but the tone is awesome.

If it sounds good then great..there are no rules in digital. If the Axe allowed power amp bypassing on a per Amp block basis, you could then run them in series as if you were running the preamp out from the first amp into the front end of the second Amp, which would basically be running two preamps in series into one power section.

You could actually try this in the real world by running the reactive loadbox signal of one Plexi into a reamp box and then into the front end of the second Plexi. It ends up being like an eq stage before the second preamp.

As we know, daisy chaining Plexi amps was traditionally done by plugging the guitar into the high treble input of Amp 1 and then running a cable from the normal input of Amp 1 to the high treble input of Amp 2. You can easily do this by running the guitar into two high treble only Plexi amp blocks in parallel.

If you're going for that '73 Page live tone, try using one of the orignal basketweave Axe Fx II cabs to get the right midrange character..gives a very TSRTS tone. Also the Fet Boost (drive on zero to get a similar vibe to the Echoplex that Page used ) or Treble Booster blocks in front of the Plexi can get you there, or even just messing with the bright cap value of the Plexi.
It can disable power amp modeling per block by setting Supply Sag to OFF.

There's actually documentation on using the Amp block as a drive.

Ah yes i stupidly forgot that...thanks. Very easy to run two preamps in series then to get something similar to a treble booster feel going into a Plexi

the power amp model is bypassed when supply sag is set to 0. presence becomes a shelving filter in this state so presence at 5 is neutral
Actually we're both not quite right.

I forgot there was a recent change and it's actually now (as of 16.02 per the Blocks Guide) a separate setting called Power Amp Modeling ON/OFF.

Terry Kath had an old Bogen PA amp he ran into the input of a Fender Showman, IIRC. Not sure what was done to load the Bogen and pad the signal down to a reasonable-ish level. People used Fender Champs as boosts, too. Pretty sure that is the basis of the Garnet Herzog booster....
From what I remember from an old Guitar Player article, Randy Bachmann would run a Champ, or Champ-style amp into the front of his Sunn or Acoustic amp, it was solid-state and BIG, to get that super-thick overdrive, which he called the "Herzog". Snooping around I saw mentions of Garnet designing the Herzog for him to be a little kinder and gentler to his amps, then found this, which is "supposed" to be the schematic.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...nal-cause-damage-to-amp.1461506/post-22458775

Back
Top Bottom