My Odd Strat

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone know about these? It haz an 'MZ5' serial #, which means Mexican, 2005, I believe.

When I first saw it I thought it might be a Strat neck on some other body, I'd never seen a Strat with no pickguard/controls/pups unit, nor one with the input jack routed on the side. I've since been reassured that, yes, they do make 'em this way, though I have never seen another like it. Plays great. Sounds like a Strat. Juat curious...

View attachment 13861

I have seen them before. Can't remember if it's Super Strat-. But I do remember it definitely is a Strat made that way-I'll give it some more thouhjt later on

I dunno. Not aggresively shaped. No extra frets. No Floyd Rose (definitely a stock fender whammy). No Humbuckers. Standard controls: 5 position knife, volume, tone, no stacked (concentric) or push-pull pots, and it's a very 'stratty' sounding Strat! About the only thing un-strat-like about it is the loss of the pickguard.

Also, the wiki article only shows the Fender Showmaster as having been built in the same time period, and that has binding and HHS or HH pups.

MIM FSR Strat I'd say. FSR= Factory Special Run. A Fender distributor probably requested this particular design. The FSRs were discontinued in 2009 probably for the same reason you've posted here - people wondering is it really a Fender made Strat or a copy.

Those flame maple capped FSRs with 2 pots were discontinued around 2009 rumoured to be at Fender's orders due to them causing doubt in peoples minds that they were indeed a genuine Fender - I read about these in a forum somewhere ages ago ... stuck in my brain it seems. Current FSRs seem to not be allowed to stray too far from the classic Strat design so perhaps the rumour is true.

Back
Top Bottom