My Mesa Strategy 500 or my Rocktron Velocity 300 for power?

Lanier

Hey Guys,
Well, the Ultra just landed and i was just wanting some opinions on what i should power it with. I currently have a Mesa Strategy 500 as well as a Rocktron Velocity 300. I understand fully the weight issues with the Strategy so there is no need to really touch on that....sonically is the advice im looking for. If anyone out there is using one of these let me know what ya think. I have enjoyed both of these running a mesa studio preamp with the Strategy getting the edge in sheer headroom and the ability to run four 4x12 cabs. The Rocktron is very impressive as well so..im open to feedback here.... Of course i am going to hook both up to see what happens, I just am wondering if anyone has any experience running the Ultra thru either one of these. I am shooting for a live rig here running either into 2 Bogner 4x12s or 2 Mesa halfback 4x12's...or in the case of the Strategy 500...all 4 cabs:D
Thanks
Lanier

Lanier said:
Hey Guys,
Well, the Ultra just landed and i was just wanting some opinions on what i should power it with. I currently have a Mesa Strategy 500 as well as a Rocktron Velocity 300. I understand fully the weight issues with the Strategy so there is no need to really touch on that....sonically is the advice im looking for. If anyone out there is using one of these let me know what ya think. I have enjoyed both of these running a mesa studio preamp with the Strategy getting the edge in sheer headroom and the ability to run four 4x12 cabs. The Rocktron is very impressive as well so..im open to feedback here.... Of course i am going to hook both up to see what happens, I just am wondering if anyone has any experience running the Ultra thru either one of these. I am shooting for a live rig here running either into 2 Bogner 4x12s or 2 Mesa halfback 4x12's...or in the case of the Strategy 500...all 4 cabs:D
Thanks
Lanier

You already know most of the answer, and you'll know the rest of it after you get a chance to try both amps with your new Ultra and your existing cabs.

I'd say let your ears decide when you a/b the two. I did a similar test between the velocity 300 and a marshall 9100 (with an hd500 though). I came to the conclusion that the Rocktron was just as good as the marshall and more tweakable.

Back
Top Bottom