My Mesa Mark IV patch now on Axechange.net

shredi knight

Power User
My much demanded (ok, 3 people wanted it :lol: ) Mark IV patch is now on Axechange. Nice liquidy lead tone in the vain of John Petrucci and Marco Sfogli. It's intended to be used with a real power amp and cab(s).

http://www.axechange.net/preset.aspx?PRESET_ID=624

A couple of sound clips of what it sounds like "in the room" and "in the next room" :mrgreen: (this is just audio extracted from a video shot with a digital camera -Horrible playing by me :roll: ):

"In the room"

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/39668- ... VTone1.mp3

"In the next room"

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/80851- ... VTone2.mp3

Let me know what you think.

Re: My Mesa Mark IV patch now on Axechange.com

Yea he kicks ass plus his tone

BTW need to do a youtube vid of you ripping it up :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks guys, but my playing is sooo sub-par right now. I really need to do some serious wood shedding and get it back in shape.

Here's a few of my older clips (L6 POD, sorry ;) ) where I was a little more "on". These are jams over pre-recorded backing tracks. The first 2 are my sections from a group jam we used to do on the Petrucci forum:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/82609- ... ononly.mp3

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/96001- ... onOnly.mp3

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/54832-PhrygianJam.mp3

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/98996- ... tedJam.mp3

mojave said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks.

Not that I think I'm great or anything, but I was listening to my old clips a few weeks ago and went,"Damn, I used to be a lot better!". :lol:

I'll get it back though.

:shock:
Imagine this sort of playing with your improved sound.

Put me on the waiting list for the new cd! :mrgreen:

Keep rocking!

Micha

Thus the 'Shred' in 'Shredi Knight'

Sweet!

What are you playing through -power amp/cab, FRFR or direct?

The more I play with the Mark series the more I like the tone and sound. Can't wait to check out the preset tonite.

rb

rmbaylin said:
What are you playing through -power amp/cab, FRFR or direct?

Power amp & cabs (Carvin DCM600 solid state/ 2 Avatar Vintage 4x12s)

Thanks for all the compliments on my playing guys, I really appreciate it. :)

I had a request through PM for the manual settings for this patch from a member who couldn't download from Axechange.com.

I thought since I went to the trouble of typing them all out, I'd copy & paste them in this thread for anyone else that may want them (yep, this is just a thinly veiled excuse to bump my thread :mrgreen: ).

I'm just giving the settings to get the core dry tone, writing down, and then typing out all the effects settings is way more trouble than I'm willing to go to. :D

The chain consists of Drive - Filter - Amp - Parametric EQ 1&2 (run in parallel).

Here's how it should look (circled in red):

presetroutingbt8.jpg

Any block's settings I don't mention (like the Amp block's "Bright" switch, Depth, Sag, and most of the settings on it's Advanced page, plus all of the block's Pan & Level controls) means they are left at default:

Drive:

Type. Full OD
Drive. 0.00
Tone. 5.00
Level. 10.00
Slew Rate. 0.00

Filter:

Type. Peaking
Freq. 808 Hz
Roffs. 0.100
Q. 1.156
Gain. 8.9 dB

Amp:

Type. USA Lead 1 (set Tonestack Type to "Passive" on the Advanced page):

Drive. 6.81
Bass. 2.09
Mid. 7.24
Treble. 6.54
Presence. 2.44
Set "Deep" switch to On under the Depth control
Damp. 6.50
Mstr Vol. 3.23
Warmth. 2.76
Thump. 10.00

Parametric EQ 1:

F1
Freq. 80.8 Hz
Q. 0.707
Gain. (minus) -0.38 dB
Type. Shelving

F2
Freq. 238.8 Hz
Q. 0.707
Gain. (minus) -1.23 dB

F3
Freq. 748.2 Hz
Q. 0.864
Gain. (minus) -10.58 dB

F4
Freq. 2181 Hz
Q. 0.707
Gain. 2.27 dB

F5
Freq. 6618 Hz
Q. 0.707
Gain. 0.09 dB
Type. Shelving

Parametric EQ 2:

F1
Freq. 80.8 Hz
Q. 0.707
Gain. (minus) -0.28 dB
Type. Shelving

F2
Freq. 238.8 Hz
Q. 0.707
Gain. (minus) -1.32 dB

F3
Freq. 748.2 Hz
Q. 0.864
Gain. (minus) -10.49 dB

F4
Freq. 2181 Hz
Q. 0.707
Gain. 2.36 dB

F5
Freq. 6618 Hz
Q. 0.707
Gain. 0.09 dB
Type. Shelving

That's it. If you want, you can disengage the Amp block's "Deep" switch and boost rather than cut the first two frequencies in the Parametric EQs (80.8 & 238.8 Hz) instead. You can make it sound almost exactly the same that way, but I think it sounds better (and well,......deeper :mrgreen: ) using the "Deep" switch instead.

Thanks for that patch. Im using it through studio monitors so i had to add a cab from the Axe-fx so it wont sound exactly like yours but i gotta say its definately one of the best patches i've come across. (I also like Pete Thorns VH one) They both sound very "up front" whereas mine tend to sound a little deader. Im still learning the thing though so hopefully ill be able to get my patches up to scratch soon too..........

Killer patch Shredi! Now I am currently using my Vetta as nothing more than a VERY expensive power amp, through the 2 Bogner cubes. For use as a rhythm, I only did the following to your patch:

1) Turn up the bass on the amp to 5.51 for a nice thump you can feel on muted low chunking riffs.
2) Turn down the treble on the amp to around 4.0...I mean that treble sounds very nice and cutting, but without earplugs in any audience member will think it's piercing when you crank it. Could also lower the Frequency on the high cut filter on the amp instead or as well as.
3) And of course turn off the ducking delay entirely and lower or cut the reverb maybe.

Of course, your results may differ largely, especially as I'm using fairly trebly pickups (Duncan Full Shred model).

I find that I like a little more treble on rhythm patches versus lead patches, because when playing high notes on solos, you just don't need a ton of treble because the notes are so high already. It actually becomes too trebly sometimes. And I love treble more than anyone I know haha. Muddy guitar sounds suck :)

So I might dial in a sound for a perfect slicing heavy rhythm patch, then cut ~10 - 15% of the treble for the lead patch of the same sound. But what do I know? I've only had the thing 2 weeks!

jerotas said:
Killer patch Shredi! Now I am currently using my Vetta as nothing more than a VERY expensive power amp, through the 2 Bogner cubes. For use as a rhythm, I only did the following to your patch:

1) Turn up the bass on the amp to 5.51 for a nice thump you can feel on muted low chunking riffs.
2) Turn down the treble on the amp to around 4.0...I mean that treble sounds very nice and cutting, but without earplugs in any audience member will think it's piercing when you crank it. Could also lower the Frequency on the high cut filter on the amp instead or as well as.
3) And of course turn off the ducking delay entirely and lower or cut the reverb maybe.

Of course, your results may differ largely, especially as I'm using fairly trebly pickups (Duncan Full Shred model).

I find that I like a little more treble on rhythm patches versus lead patches, because when playing high notes on solos, you just don't need a ton of treble because the notes are so high already. It actually becomes too trebly sometimes. And I love treble more than anyone I know haha. Muddy guitar sounds suck :)

So I might dial in a sound for a perfect slicing heavy rhythm patch, then cut ~10 - 15% of the treble for the lead patch of the same sound. But what do I know? I've only had the thing 2 weeks!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it (I was wondering why this old thread was on the first page :lol: ). I just switched to using FRFR studio monitors, meaning I had to start over on my patches again, so this one isn't even on my Axe FX any more.

A couple of things:

-The ducking delay shouldn't have been on at all. There is a weird behavioral bug I have noticed if I take a delay from an existing patch and put it in another one, the ducking delay will be turned up for some reason. Maybe the same thing happened when I uploaded the patch to axechange. The reverb should have been bypassed as well (not sure if you were implying it was on or not).

- My pickups have boosted bass and mids and are pretty dark, especially my bridge (Dimarzio Tone Zone). I think that's the main reason why everyone says my patches are too bright. I'm think about replacing the Tone Zone because I am always fighting how dark it is. I'm always trying to dial the "mud" out.

Oh I see, yeah you should probably just replace that Tone Zone if it's too dark. You could get something cool like a Bill Lawrence L-500XL or many other good pickups that I'm sure you know about.

I like the ducking delay and reverb when using it as a lead channel. I might have turned them on, I don't remember. But they were there.

Back
Top Bottom