my Matrix went Down Mesa 20/20 to the Rescuse poweramps sims off?

I used a 20/20 for a while (and still have it)... just turn of the power amp sims and you should be fine.

Maybe brighter than the Matrix, so you may need to adjust the presence on the 20/20.

Yes, power amp sims should generally be off for the 20/20 since it has coloration on its own. It should sound better.

Problem with power amp sims off is that you lose any poweramp drive in the preset. One other trick you might try is leave PA on and just lower the high and low resonance in the speaker cab page.

Go with whatever you feel sounds best but a lot of the feel & character of the amp sims is in the power amp. I used the Axe a lot when I first got it with a Mesa 2:90 & it sounded & felt much better with the power amp sims on.

I use a 20/20 and power amp sims on. That's because I'm also going FOH via out 2. When I first got my AXE I asked about this and even Cliff suggested I do it this way. Hope this helps.

Some additional good points were made.

I will agree it is to taste, but I found with the 20/20 (or 2:Ninety), since firmware 11.x and up it wasn't necessary to turn the amp simulator on anymore (for me at least). Obviously (and interestingly) other experiences are a mixed bag.

Also true, the comment made by "xpenno"... You do lose any power amp drive, however, So it really depends on the preset. While most of "my" presets sounded fine, there were a couple that lost their gain and need to be tweaked because of this. One again, that was my experience.

I guess the summation is, whatever works for you. =:·)

Last edited:
I had the power amps sims enabled when I used 20/20 and it sounded great. When I went from the 20/20 to a Matrix, I used the recommended settings that Matrix provided on their website; which I believe was only a few GEQ settings on the output (OUT2 for me). So maybe just try the reverse?

Back
Top Bottom